NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:00 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

Post subject: suspension on D-max
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:43 am 

Anyone know what OE rear leaf springs are rated at? I'm looking at an upgrade after installing drawers etc, rear wheels weigh 1640 kgs when loaded. I had Super springs on but I've busted one, so looking at an upgrade but wondering which ones/rating. any ideas?

Post subject: Re: suspension on D-max
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:00 pm 

In the earlier models, mine a 2011, there is three different springs to my knowledge. The Cab chassis model has more leaves than a dual cab LSM and the LSU had slightly easier springs for ride comfort.
I use packs from an LS cab chassis and added the second leaf as a third leaf from my original pack added to under the second leaf. Trimmed to fit with grinder cut off wheel while retaining the friction pads.
This sets it higher and required the removal of the short lowest leaf to still use the same centre bolt from the LS pack.
I also bent the long heavy/thick low leaf so it had a set slightly upward to catch and hold when under heavy load or large bump/suspension compression. Holds van ball weight well. I have 40litre of water tank, 50 litres of diesel tank and ply drawers for gear, 105 ah battery, roof solar panels and generator sometimes in the mix.

If wanting suspension to work well, throw away the oe shocks both ends and fit good quality shock absorbers. My OE ones got the flick at 5000km from new, they did not control body mass and were dangerous with a loaded vehicle or towing.

If going after market springs, many of them hold the diff pinion angle dowward far more than it originally was and because of the higher ride height AND the poor springs you will almost always require spring pad wedges to restore the pinion drive angle and eliminate uni angle mismatch. Most spring makers seem to not take this into account. It causes driveline vibes and short uni life.
Pinion should point upward slightly, to just under the shaft exit of the transfer case. Not horizontal or downward at any time.