We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

Post subject: fuel light
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:06 pm 

fuel light comes on did filter and new switch still comes on any advice on this

Post subject: Re: fuel light
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:48 pm 

johno34 wrote:

Hey Johno, I'm going through the same problem at the moment. Did you find anything out?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:54 am 

johno34

Nearly ALL fuel filter units which have a wires into the base water detector float switch have brittle, thin wires which split at the exit of the base. They OFTEN then allow the wires to touch as though there is water in there and the float has turned on the reed switch and therefore the light.
I would disconnect the water sensor to see if the light goes out.
If it does!
Then look closely at the wiring and test (with a multimeter) the exiting wires from the base. if it shows a connection ie. low ohms, instead of infinity, then there is a problem with either the wires or the float is stuck UP and turning on the reed switch. Should read infinity ie. no connection as normal.
In a 2011 model and before, there is also a restriction sensor in the top of the filter unit and it should only turn on a filter light if there is restriction across the filter medium, ie, blocking filter. It turns on at slightly under atmospheric pressure and can be checked with mouth suction pressure to make it operate.
Unfortunately, you have to remove it to check it for operation, no I don't like the taste of diesel either!

Firstly, If you unplug it's connector which is up at top behind the filter housing it may turn off the light and then it is either the switch faulty OR a dirty filter.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:14 pm 

Philbo wrote:
johno34 wrote:

Hey Johno, I'm going through the same problem at the moment. Did you find anything out?

Don't expect an answer from him mate, it was his one and only post and he's never even looked on here again.

Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:32 pm 

No worries Danno. I pulled the plug on the sensor at the bottom of the fuel filter and the light still comes up when I mash the pedal. If I pull the plug for the sensor at the top of the filter housing then it stays on all the time.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:46 pm 

Philbo
When you switch on and it is quiet, do you hear your tank pump run fast and then settle to a set speed when system fuel pressure is achieved?

Perhaps your fuel pump in tank isn't running fast enough and cannot supply the demand when accelerating.
It could be the pump a bit sick, dirty/connectors/wiring to the pump or there is a faulty hose or squashed line somewhere between tank and fuel filter.
Any restriction will be sensed by the sensor at the top. It can be a dynamic thing and ONLY occurs when going for it.

Also try it with fuel cap loose, for blocked breather.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:37 am 

Well I had a look at the filter again the other day and it wasn't clogged or dirty but what I did find was that the o ring at the top of the filter had expanded and was not seating against the filter and the housing properly. When I asked the mechanic if he had previously changed the filter he said that he thought he had but he couldn't remember if it was on this car or the other Dmax we had. :roll: I don't know if the switch at the bottom of the filter housing only detects water or if it looks at pressure as well as the top one and if the two work together to look at differential pressure across the filter? Either way, with the new filter and new o ring the problem is fixed. This was happening intermittently from brand new.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:57 am 

Philbo wrote:
Well I had a look at the filter again the other day and it wasn't clogged or dirty but what I did find was that the o ring at the top of the filter had expanded and was not seating against the filter and the housing properly. When I asked the mechanic if he had previously changed the filter he said that he thought he had but he couldn't remember if it was on this car or the other Dmax we had. :roll: I don't know if the switch at the bottom of the filter housing only detects water or if it looks at pressure as well as the top one and if the two work together to look at differential pressure across the filter? Either way, with the new filter and new o ring the problem is fixed. This was happening intermittently from brand new.

Bottom one will only detect water I think mate, any chance it's let unfiltered fuel through?

Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:05 am 

Philbo wrote:

A new fuel filter will come with a new o ring cause once the old o ring comes out you will never be able to refit it. It seats and fits fine, until you unscrew the housing.

Tink

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:45 pm 

philbo

On a 2012 and before the bottom switch in the filter is a float operated reed switch for water level detection only. nothing to do with the filter.
Bottom sense, has hose to yellow drain in LHS of engine bay for periodic water drain while running engine/pump. No need to get underneath.

The top switch is a negative pressure sensor and detects as the pressure in the fuel exit line become less than atmospheric pressure. You may notice it has a vent to atmos hose attached to it so sensing of same can occur. That indicates the filter is restricted. Should never get to that though with normal use/fuel quality/servicing.

Your man for service should have recorded against VIN number which has or has not had a filter change.
Filter rings seals should be lubricated with engine oil before fitting so the can, can slide and not deform the ring/ destroy the ring when fitting.
Diesel fuel can/will make it hard to screw can in, causing a ripping of the surface of the ring.