NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 9:39 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:38 pm 

Dropped the transfer case oil today on my 2016 dmax with 35,000km on the clock, found some metal on the drain plug magnet, wasn’t just the normal wear and tear fine particles it had little chips that belonged to something in there haha, so yeah not a great sign.

Attachments:
3887FF8C-17AA-4683-A85A-4CA813F69281.jpeg
3887FF8C-17AA-4683-A85A-4CA813F69281.jpeg [ 202.19 KiB | Viewed 287 times ]

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:12 am 

Doing mine soon 110,000k I may get enough metal to sell at the scrap yards. No idea if that is excessive or not, only imagine that some is expected maybe not larger chunks. Did you do the change because it wasn't performing properly ?

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:55 am 

Mike44
The metal is likely to be from a couple of areas, depending on what length the bits are.
Maybe the dog clutch of the 4wd selector or the high low selector dogs, if they have been under pressure at change time they may break bits off their edges.
Not likely to be the high low gearing as that would self destruct if bits had broken off inside the epicyclic sun and planet teeth.
If would raise the vehicle and run the transfer with a thinned down oil/diesel mixture, overfull if possible, to flush any bits away from the vitals and allow it to then drain and refill with oil containing Nulon G70.
Inspect the drained stuff to see what appears, might give a bit more insight into what is going on.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:12 pm 

mydmax wrote:
Mike44
The metal is likely to be from a couple of areas, depending on what length the bits are.
Maybe the dog clutch of the 4wd selector or the high low selector dogs, if they have been under pressure at change time they may break bits off their edges.
Not likely to be the high low gearing as that would self destruct if bits had broken off inside the epicyclic sun and planet teeth.
If would raise the vehicle and run the transfer with a thinned down oil/diesel mixture, overfull if possible, to flush any bits away from the vitals and allow it to then drain and refill with oil containing Nulon G70.
Inspect the drained stuff to see what appears, might give a bit more insight into what is going on.

Dont suppose you live in Brisbane ? I would love to learn a few self service bits ?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:59 am 

Duck wrote:
mydmax wrote:
Mike44

Dont suppose you live in Brisbane ? I would love to learn a few self service bits ?

Unfortunately not Duck, I’m at Muswellbrook NSW

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:16 am 

My ?40,000km service, I got the rear diff oil changed, and the magnet had similar looking bits on it, maybe 1 or 2 mm. I expressed some concern, but the mechanic said that was normal, that's why they put a magnet there.