NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:33 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

Post subject: AVM HP
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:33 pm 

Hi
I am installing AVM hp hubs, I know not to use the gasket between the avm hub and the disc hub ( Loctite 518 ) but there is one on the changer do I use that one. Also when the hubs are in 4x4 can I drive on tar road in 4x4.
Cheers Ross

Post subject: Re: AVM HP
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:44 pm 

Arrow
The use of Loctite 518 sealant allows the FWH unit to grip the wheel hub and not slip. The gasket allows that to happen, particularly IF someone seals it with silicon sealant which is rubbery and almost greases the clamping faces, something you do not want.
The outer selector ring only holds a mechanism in place and takes no torque at all. As long as it seals with something all is good.
I use 518 on the gasket there. Sparingly.
Any gasket sealant which oozes into the hub or outward from the parting faces of both is a waste. Most people use too much. It only has to seal the microscopic voids in the parting surfaces of wherever it is used, any more and it exits the area when bolted together.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:52 pm 

Thank you mydmax
Yes that's what I am using, I read that in one of your post.
With the AVM hubs in 4x4 can I travel on Bitumen road

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:05 pm 

No, only when 4x2 is selected on the hub

Tink

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:08 pm 

Arrow
Not sure what concept you are stating there. You might select 4 High but with the hubs set at Free, then no drive will go to the front wheels.
I would NOT select 4HIGH while moving with the FWH set at Free, because the normal condition and linking of parts which is done firstly by the transfer case action, will mean no join up of the front axle system as it does with hubs locked or just no fwh fitted.

By fitting FWH, you are changing the way the system works, in part, and the front axle system cannot lock because one member/part is remaining stationary and the spinning one cannot join to it. Just wear away and damage may result if tried.
Understanding how the system actually works gives and insight into what can and what cannot be done.

Why would you want to drive in sealed road with H or L 4. It just causes wind up and damage at anytime.
I presume think was alluding to having the hubs in FREE. Not sure.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:02 pm 

ARROW1 wrote:
Thank you mydmax
Yes that's what I am using, I read that in one of your post.
With the AVM hubs in 4x4 can I travel on Bitumen road

LOL never ask a simple question on a forum...the answer I think you're looking for is yes you can drive on bitumen with the hubs themselves locked in 4x4 but not of course not with the transfer in 4x4, it must be in 2wd. With only the hubs locked in 4x4 and the car in 4x2 the car will just behave as if the Isuzu hubs were never removed (permanently locked), so say if you're out 4wd'ing and you come across some bitumen you only have to put the gearbox/transfer into 2wd as you normally would and drive to the next dirt section, no need to get out and unlock the hubs..

Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:12 am 

G'day Danno
Without knowing exactly what he is meaning, it is hard to cover the situation. Often questions reveal the person is not really sure of what the modification has changed/created. If they did, they wouldn't need to ask the question.

If the hubs are locked, then nothing has changed.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:24 am 

Thank you Danno, mydmax and Tink
Had a senior moment and thinking of the old Hilux were I had to put the hubs on 4x4 to go off road and 2x4 back on the tar.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:10 pm 

Arrow

With hubs locked:
It is exactly the same as a hilux if the transmission is selected to 4x4.

The only difference IS, with the hubs unlocked the front axle stuff doesn't rotate all the time AND it also give you the ability to select 4 low and have slow only 2 wheel drive for trailer maneouvering, so preventing transmission wind up.