NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:52 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

Post subject: Towing with LS-U
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:50 am 

Hi All, have owned a 2013 dmax LS-M for last 5 years and looking to upgrade to a 2018 model. I have been totally satisfied with the dmax and it has done a great job in towing the van.
Questions are
I have towed a 2560 van tow ball weight approx 240 without a WDH for the five years without a problem so I guess the new LS-M would do the job exactly the same as it still has the 5 leaf springs ( heavier suspension in the rear)
I would perhaps like to go to the LS-U model for a few extras but am concerned that the new 3 leaf suspension may drop the back a little more than the LS-M. If someone has a similar van as mentioned and tows with the LS-U without a WDH, could you please give me a heads up on the ride, new 6 speed box etc.
Cheers

Post subject: Re: Towing with LS-U
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:33 pm 

Hi Banjo's, I can only give you my opinion and if I was you I would consider upgrading, to a heavier set of springs.
I have a van just a bit heavier than yours, and tried the WDH system and to be honest I don't like them, all that tension has to go somewhere.

The other problem with the WDH system is a lot of people say that it is possible to twist your chassis.
If I had to do it over again I would just go for the heavier springs from the word go.
Regards John

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:46 pm 

Many aftermarket places change springs/suspension to the upgrade sold by them. They WILL have near new, LSM rears for the asking and for a small charge will fit them to the LSU for you. Then you have springs from an LSM at reasonable cost. Shouldn't be too hard to track some down in your locality.
Maybe even fit them yourself if spanner/safety wise.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:57 pm 

Hi mydmax, I guess LSM springs would be ok if you have a stock standard ute, but when you start adding goodies, I think they will also start to sag.

I for one do carry a good amount of needful things :D in the tub of my D-max.
Every now and then I do a weight check on the dmax without the van before a trip and it can give you a shock, just on how much weight is on board.
Paying a bit extra for a good set of after market springs and shocks.
May pay for themselves in the long term.
Regards John