NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:39 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours


We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:22 am
Posts: 626
Location: adelaide hills
Hi All

My car does two wierd things, one quite serious.

The least problem is that sometimes when I go from 2 -> 4 WD the dash board symbol flashes then steadies, then a few seconds later starts flashing again, then steadies again. Dunno if anything mechanical happens at these times.

The really serious problem is that at times either in 4H or 4L something decides to disengage and then re-engage, with a thud and a lurch, accompanied by the light flashing as above.

So clearly there's a chance that one day I'll be straining up a steep and loose hill, something will disengage, re-engage, and crunch and all the $$$ will fall out.

The dealer's theory was that I was using the knob wrongly, but yesterday I had an Isuzu mechanic sitting in the car turning the knob and watching the dashboard symbol, and it happened twice in 1km, pretty convincing. (the lights, that is, not the thud & clunk, no hills to climb)

So has anybody ever wondered if they had that problem before?

The reason I say "wondered" is because for a long time I would glance at the symbol, see it steady, then later see it flash, and I thought that I'd glanced for too short a period of time, just coinciding with the high phase. The only reason I noticed it definitely was when I was following a koala along the road, in 4L 1st gear up a slight hill, plenty of time to look at things and notice the thuds.

Has anybody ever definitely had either prob before?

Any ideas about how to fix it?

I'm putting it in for a day on Tuesday, but it would be good to have some hints about where to look.

_________________
If it ain't broke, fix it til it is.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:59 pm
Posts: 734
Location: Darwin
When engaging or disengaging 4wd on a number of occasions it has taken forever to engage or disengage but haven't experienced what you outline.

_________________
DB74


2012 LS-T, Mineral Grey. ARB Canopy, Traderack, Bullbar, Airtech Snorkel, XDC winch, Xray Vision driving lights, TX3345 GME radio, Dual Battery via Redarc VSR, OME 300kg Constant load suspension, factory towbar, Dueler 697 LT tyres, now 70,000km


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:22 am
Posts: 626
Location: adelaide hills
Dropbear74 wrote:
When engaging or disengaging 4wd on a number of occasions it has taken forever to engage or disengage but haven't experienced what you outline.

Dropbear74 thanks
Yes I get that, with a constant load, but if you blip the throttle a bit, so as to "bunny hop", then, which ever of the car drives the motor, or the motor drives the car, the opposite will happen and it'll slip in or out.

_________________
If it ain't broke, fix it til it is.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:23 pm
Posts: 3231
Location: Darwin... sort of.
garrytre wrote:
Hi All

My car does two wierd things, one quite serious.

The least problem is that sometimes when I go from 2 -> 4 WD the dash board symbol flashes then steadies, then a few seconds later starts flashing again, then steadies again. Dunno if anything mechanical happens at these times.

The really serious problem is that at times either in 4H or 4L something decides to disengage and then re-engage, with a thud and a lurch, accompanied by the light flashing as above.

So clearly there's a chance that one day I'll be straining up a steep and loose hill, something will disengage, re-engage, and crunch and all the $$$ will fall out.

The dealer's theory was that I was using the knob wrongly, but yesterday I had an Isuzu mechanic sitting in the car turning the knob and watching the dashboard symbol, and it happened twice in 1km, pretty convincing. (the lights, that is, not the thud & clunk, no hills to climb)

So has anybody ever wondered if they had that problem before?

The reason I say "wondered" is because for a long time I would glance at the symbol, see it steady, then later see it flash, and I thought that I'd glanced for too short a period of time, just coinciding with the high phase. The only reason I noticed it definitely was when I was following a koala along the road, in 4L 1st gear up a slight hill, plenty of time to look at things and notice the thuds.

Has anybody ever definitely had either prob before?

Any ideas about how to fix it?

I'm putting it in for a day on Tuesday, but it would be good to have some hints about where to look.


It's easy to fix mate, just hand it to them and refuse to take it back until they actually find something, nothing worse than being told to take it away and bring it back if it happens again.

When did it start Garry?

_________________
Cheers
Dan
Moderator
Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:54 pm
Posts: 1975
Location: Darling Downs. Qld
No, never happened to me and I have done many thousands of kilometres in 4WD high range. Have only done a couple of hundred kms, if that, in low range and no problems either.

Twice I had a problem engaging low range and had to go back to high range, drive forward a metre or so, and try again. Worked the second attempt. When engaging low range, wheels need to pointing directly forward and you need to be stopped and in neutral (including in the auto).

Tink


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:22 am
Posts: 626
Location: adelaide hills
Danno wrote:
It's easy to fix mate, just hand it to them and refuse to take it back until they actually find something, nothing worse than being told to take it away and bring it back if it happens again.
Yes it's difficult when a thing is intermittent and rare.
Danno wrote:
When did it start Garry?
Hard to say. As I said, for quite a while, I was just thinking that I'd mis-identified end-of-flash. Maybe 4 months.

Just thinking out aloud here.
Q Is the re-starting of flashing always accompanied by something disengaging and re-engaging?
A Not always. I've recorded one instance of a very steep hill that's impossible in 2WD, I'm going up in H4 and the lights flash again, but the car continues. So no dis - & re-engage.
OTOH the dis - & re-engage might happen more frequently than the clunk & lurch. The clunk and lurch will only happen on a slightly loose hill, not on a flat. Going smoothly and flat, there might be disengage & re-engage without me knowing.

Q What is it that disengages & re-engages?
A The lurch of disengagement and clunk of re-engagement, accompanied by flashing light, can happen in 4H or 4L. So assuming there's only one thing playing up, I'm guessing that it's the 2->4 shift, not the H->L shift.
Arguing against that is, when it has happened in L4, both the 2->4 and the H->L lights flash. Not convincing, we don't know just what actuates the lights.
I kinda thought that there couldn't be a 4->2->4 change if L is engaged, but really, that's just if everything works as it should. AFAIK 2->4 happens in the transfer case by one actuator, H->L happens in the front R) axle by a different actuator, so they're separate. So maybe it's the 4WD going out & in.

Hmmm a mystery.

Edit 2017-01-05 Oops, I got the underlined bit backward.

_________________
If it ain't broke, fix it til it is.


Last edited by garrytre on Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:22 am
Posts: 626
Location: adelaide hills
Car spent a day at Burton Isuzu. I presume that's the main one for SA. Couldn't make any problem repeat, or find any codes. Seems they worked out there might be an electrical prob because they took some plugs off various transmission bits, cleaned them and put electrical grease on.

So now wait & see.

_________________
If it ain't broke, fix it til it is.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:10 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:43 pm
Posts: 1384
Location: West Gippsland Victoria
Just to revive this thread , Its just one of those things that happens with the bloody electric knob thing

Nuthin you can do about it . I was up the bush on the weekend in some very steep country using both H4 and L4 , it's a PITA

The Mates Dmax with a manual box is the same .

It's the first 4x4 I have had that hasn't had a stubby stick , other makes have the same problem so I have been told . We just have to get used to it . I did have some not very nice noises coming from the trans a couple of times .

Jacko .


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:23 pm
Posts: 3231
Location: Darwin... sort of.
Jackofjr wrote:
Just to revive this thread , Its just one of those things that happens with the bloody electric knob thing

Nuthin you can do about it . I was up the bush on the weekend in some very steep country using both H4 and L4 , it's a PITA

The Mates Dmax with a manual box is the same .

It's the first 4x4 I have had that hasn't had a stubby stick , other makes have the same problem so I have been told . We just have to get used to it . I did have some not very nice noises coming from the trans a couple of times .

Jacko .


Yep, it keeps coming up but like you said there's Sweet Fanny Adams we can do about it...

_________________
Cheers
Dan
Moderator
Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:48 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:22 am
Posts: 626
Location: adelaide hills
Jackofjr wrote:
Just to revive this thread , Its just one of those things that happens with the bloody electric knob thing

Nuthin you can do about it . I was up the bush on the weekend in some very steep country using both H4 and L4 , it's a PITA

The Mates Dmax with a manual box is the same .

It's the first 4x4 I have had that hasn't had a stubby stick , other makes have the same problem so I have been told . We just have to get used to it . I did have some not very nice noises coming from the trans a couple of times .

Jacko .

yes I agree that even when it's working normally it's a pain, with delays between what you want & when you get it.
But my original post on this thread was about it falling out of 4WD & going back in unexpectedly, obviously causing some shock loading if it happens going up a steep loose hill. Seems like you're not talking about that, or are you? Your "not very nice noises coming from the trans" would involve a thump and a lurch.

While I'm here I'll mention that I talked with Isuzu again.

Last time I expected to have the usual dilemma with intermittent or rare things, ie nothing would happen when they are watching, but lucky for me one of their mechanics saw the 4WD light engage, disengage & re-engage. They fiddled with a few things, couldn't repeat the problem so logged it as fixed.

This time they can't log a problem on my report, they have to see it for themselves so I'll have to take it again next week.
They can't act on my written notes, and suggest that I video it when it happens - a bit impractical. Video what? A flashing light that they've already seen.
Seems the best thing is that something actually breaks, then they can replace it.

And by the way, I've now had 2 Isuzu mechanics tell me that you can't change 2WD -> 4WD one said at over 10km/hr, the other said if you're moving at all, and one senior tech adviser seemed to think it was amazing he just found out you could do it at 100km/hr.

_________________
If it ain't broke, fix it til it is.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC + 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group