NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:57 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:23 pm 

I think you meant "I took the car a dealer" not Isuzu. The dealer has Isuzu trained mechanics but a dealer is not "Isuzu" as such.

Tink

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:38 pm 

I don't know. This place.
http://www.neisuzuute.com.au/iua/
I spose you make a philosophical point though. I've always noticed that 'Isuzu Ute Australia' is not the same as the company that makes & sells Isuzu trucks. That leaves the question, just who is it that I bought the car from, and who services it? Isuzu, or someone with an Isuzu sign out the front that has nothing to do with Isuzu? Or has something to do with Isuzu? A representative? An agent? Any commercial lawyers here?

Kinda like George Brandis saying 'we don't know what website you looked at, only the website's address.'

Last edited by garrytre on Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:34 pm 

I'm no lawyer, but I guess the average dealer/caryard servicing your truck won't be Isuzu themselves, but would have been appointed a dealership (like a franchise I guess) to sell and service their products as per their business model.

So for example, an Autogroup company in Australia's northern parts used to sell Isuzu Utes, as well as other makes, but after too many complaints, bad service and BS lost their dealership and rights to sell Isuzus. Another yard now sells them and would have to organise training, branding and stock through Isuzu. I'm assuming a fee is paid to buy the rights to sell a brand just as you buy into a franchise. I just made all this up but I'm assuming that's how it works.

2012 LS-T, Mineral Grey. ARB Canopy, Traderack, Bullbar, Airtech Snorkel, XDC winch, Xray Vision driving lights, TX3345 GME radio, Dual Battery via Redarc VSR, OME 300kg Constant load suspension, factory towbar, Dueler 697 LT tyres, now 70,000km

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:27 pm 

Still seems a moot point. Like I don't deal with Telstra, I just exchange information with people who work for Telstra, and send money to a bank account that has 'Telstra' written on it. Kinda seems to be the same thing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:34 pm 

No Isuzu dealer in Australia is Isuzu as far as I know. Couldn't see why they would be. IUA is a Seller of Isuzu utes sold in OZ.
Then staff like other dealers staff go to training days where they allegedly learn stuff. Some haven't got any mechanical aptitude to speak of so learn very little. Most won't remember much cos of learning difficulties. Basically the courses are sort of 5 min and certificated at the end.
Certificates always look good on the wall for customers to oggle at.

Sound harsh but true for all dealers of anything. Some mechanics are in tune with what goes on and are good. Pin the Tail on the Donkey sort of stuff.
IUA like other brands have some reasonably competent people to assess claims etc. From there downwards it may get worse for diagnosis and fair recognition of problems within dealerships. All brands are the same.

My personal experience is, around 9% of mechanics pass any higher training. Many, too many crawl over the line of gaining a trade qualification, ie "Tradesman Motor Mechanic" but that is near the bottom of the understanding scale. Some even learn something more during their lifetime which is a plus.

When I did a certain qualification in the motor trade, only 4 passed out of 44 being tested for a significant Certificate.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:46 pm 

What's most annoying is going in with a problem and they hook it up to their diagnostic computer and then they say that there is nothing wrong. I'm by no means a mechanic but I have serviced all my own cars for the last 20 years except the Dmax and some of the most basic mistakes seem to occur which at $100+/hr for labour I don't expect.

2012 LS-T, Mineral Grey. ARB Canopy, Traderack, Bullbar, Airtech Snorkel, XDC winch, Xray Vision driving lights, TX3345 GME radio, Dual Battery via Redarc VSR, OME 300kg Constant load suspension, factory towbar, Dueler 697 LT tyres, now 70,000km

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:43 pm 

Had to chuckle. One for MDM.
Seems the thing
http://www.isuzu.com.au/contact/find-a-dealer/sa/adelaide-isuzu/
is most proud of is
"Our service workshop can repair your Isuzu and get it back on the road in no time. We have an around-the-clock, 24 hour breakdown unit, which services the Adelaide Metro area, and in the unfortunate event that you breakdown in an area located further out, our mobile workshop units from our Burton or Port Augusta dealerships can be sent out to assist."
What marketing genius thought of that one?
Next it'll be "Free drip tray & DIY kit with every service."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:35 am 

Well I've discovered one reason for 2WD -> 4WD, and 4WD -> 2WD not happening properly.

Uneven tyre size or wear.

I got a flat, put an old spare on, and the next time I changed 2WD -> 4WD, the 4WD light settled like it should, then there was a lurch and the 4WD light was flashing. Soon after, 4WD -> 2WD, wouldn't change, light kept flashing. After ~ 1km, a lurch, 4WD light off, properly in 2WD.

I repeated this a few times, same difficulty getting in & out of 4WD. A couple of times, to get out of 4WD, I had to stop & reverse.

The difference in diameter between the spare 245/70/16 and the normal tyres 254/75/16 is 25mm or 3%.

So with one rear tyre too small, the averaging tyre size on the rear axle is 13mm or 1.5%.

So the difference between the rear axle and front axle rotational speeds is 1.5%, some wind-up happening.

And that's obviously enough to make the 2WD -> 4WD -> 2WD shift problematic.

But, now I've got a brand new 254/75/16 rear tyre, as well as the other 3 that are worn.

Tread depth on the new one is 11mm, on the old ones 5mm, so difference is 6mm, or < 1%. And I'm not having any problems.

So that was all very interesting, but still doesn't explain previous instances - several when I had all the same tyres, one 4 hour session on loose sand dunes actually in 4WD but with the light flashing.

And with uneven tyre size being an obvious culprit, I'm surprised if nobody else has had this - I'm sure the odd uneven sized spare has been used at times - but not surprised that they haven't noticed the subtleties of the flashing light.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:14 pm 

Garrytre
I am not surprised the different tyre sizes, front to back, made it difficult to engage 2wd to 4wd esecially if trying it while moving. The front diff output shaft would not be running at near the outer shaft speed and the SOTF splines would be a blurr to each other rather than rotating at almost/some speed to allow the sleeve to engage and complete 4wd selection.
May not have been such an issue when stopped and 2wd to 4wd selected though, but the windup would till certainly occur.
Easiest way to undo windup is to have a piece of larger round dowel/pipe and slowly drive over it. That allows one front or rear wheel to rotate, whichever direction it needs to go a small amount, and removes the torsional wind. 2 bits needed if a locked diff.

If you have some Nulon G70 in the transfer case it may change easier.