NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:49 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:40 am 

Here is a link to an interesting post/thread on another forum for you guys with a manual box and a possible design fault that may lead to a replacement gearbox under warranty

http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewt ... 3&t=155931

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:01 am 

LST wrote:
Here is a link to an interesting post/thread on another forum for you guys with a manual box and a possible design fault that may lead to a replacement gearbox under warranty

"Hi guys a very delayed reply, I ended up changing the air con belt and the squeal still remained. I had finally had enough and took it to Isuzu. The head mechanic test drive it and immediately said he knew what it is and said I need a new gearbox. Something to do with fifth gear which causes a squealing in first and second mainly.he said he had seen 5 come back with the same problem. Isuzu are working on an updated gearbox which should be available early April. They will replace the whole unit under warranty once it's available."

He's seen 5 come back? never heard any other mention of it so maybe he should check his own service dept out!

Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:15 pm 

Danno wrote:
LST wrote:

"Hi guys a very delayed reply, I ended up changing the air con belt and the squeal still remained. I had finally had enough and took it to Isuzu. The head mechanic test drive it and immediately said he knew what it is and said I need a new gearbox. Something to do with fifth gear which causes a squealing in first and second mainly.he said he had seen 5 come back with the same problem. Isuzu are working on an updated gearbox which should be available early April. They will replace the whole unit under warranty once it's available."

He's seen 5 come back? never heard any other mention of it so maybe he should check his own service dept out!

I read some of the info at the link and one guy fixed his by changing the oil. As Dan said I would be more interested in what the dealer with 5 failures was putting in the gearboxes that went through their shop. Not the 1st time an apprentice has put the wrong product in an engine or gearbox.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:50 am 

Hi guys, recently purchased a 2013 lsu DMAX with 50,000kms.

It had a whirring sound in first and second as described in the link. Isuzu head mechanic believes it is the 5th gear synchro. It will be getting replaced this week so hopefully that's the fix! Will keep you lot updated.

Thanks, Mark.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:24 am 

Maxthedmax wrote:
Hi guys, recently purchased a 2013 lsu DMAX with 50,000kms.

It had a whirring sound in first and second as described in the link. Isuzu head mechanic believes it is the 5th gear synchro. It will be getting replaced this week so hopefully that's the fix! Will keep you lot updated.

Thanks, Mark.

Welcome mate, not a good start.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:29 am 

The only time a synchro can make any noise is when there is a large difference in shaft/gear rotation speed AND it is being forced into gear at that particular instant.

5th gear synchro will rotate with it's mating parts at all other times, therefore, a rubbish claim by a mechanic at a dealer. The mechanic obviously does not know how a gearbox works.
Since the new 5th gear synchro will be the same part and dimensions as the old one I am curious how it will perform differently.
The noise may be to do with insufficient liquid oily stuff in the gearbox.
The oil level is NEVER checked at pre delivery and until it is long overdue for a gearbox oil change then dealer will never have checked the oil level.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:06 am 

pretty sure that in the handbook, it says to use transaxle oil NOT engine oil for this gearbox. that could have something to do with it?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:28 am 

sucksqueezebangblow wrote:
pretty sure that in the handbook, it says to use transaxle oil NOT engine oil for this gearbox. that could have something to do with it?

It specifies Besco which is pretty much unavailable here and it doesn't say not so a 15w/40 engine oil is most often used, mine has a full synthetic engine oil with no dramas, some on here use Mobil 1 and the like.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:55 pm 

Thanks for the welcome.

Had another chat with the dealer today, really helpful bloke.

He said they took sound recordings of the noise and sent them to Isuzu engineers to confirm the problem. He stated they knew once they heard the sound files that it was in fact the 4th gear synchro (not 5th, my mistake). Apparently it becomes loose over time and starts to drag. Isuzu know this is a common problem and will cover it under warranty, in fact my claim is already approved... they will be rebuilding the whole gear box.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:16 pm 

There is much discussing on the FB pages; there are some known problems with the manual boxes.

I cant remember the exact issues as I only glanced over (i bought the auto pilot dmax)

Are you sure SSBB? the older isuzu boxes specifically took ENGINE oil