NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:39 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 6:50 pm 

Hi guys.
I have a 2013 auto duel cab.
I've noticed in the past month or so a vibration which I can feel in low gear cruising up to just over 80kph.
It's felt through the steering wheel and the floor.
I've noticed the tail shaft is a little sloppy where it slides into the transfer case spline.
I thought it might have been the tyres but I just got new tires and still the same.
If anyone could help you'll save me a heap on psychology bills.
Haha
It's driving me nuts.
Just wondering if I installed a tail shaft spacer to get the shaft further into the transfer case spline would help.
Thanks heaps.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 7:50 pm 

An auto a tail shaft spacer is normally used to fix a clunk when taking off, the Dmax auto is known for having a tailshaft that doesn't engage deep enough into the box from factory, some worse than others , this can be made worse if a lift kit is fitted but usually results in a clunk rather than a vibration and a spacer will be needed to fix it.

Diagnosing noises/vibrations /dash rattles etc is notoriously hard on a forum so all the usual solutions apply, rotate the front wheels to the back one at a time and see if wheel balance has anything to do with it for a start.

Welcome to the forum and don't forget to stick your location in your profile for us.

Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:01 pm 

Hi Gaz iv got a similar issue but in my 09 manual thought it was tyres aswell but now thinking of lowering the centre bearing as i have a shudder at take off aswell. But need a custom bracket for the 09 modle. If it does the trick il let you know. Also if you get it sorted would love to hear how.
Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:50 pm 

09max
If the vibes are tailshaft related the following may apply.
If the vehicle is raised, the earlier models/shape has to have the centre bearing lowered to reduce or prevent CB shudder down low or at take off. Since many aftermarket leaf spring packs make the shudder worse or infact create it, by not only lowering the axle from the chassis but also making the pinion point downward more than before. It should be made to point more upward, ie towards rear of gearbox, not at the ground as many springs do/cause.
Up until a couple of years ago i used to make an inverting brackets which held the centre bearing approx 20mm lower, but the bracket itself was upside down. All necessary because of the cross member there.

The centre bearing is made/designed to run slightly off centreline so even if the tailshaft is running flat in one plane, ie, horizontal attitude, due to the springs or load making the unis run 0 degrees, the slight sideways offset still means the uni rollers are moving and not operating in one spot to burrow into uni cups and crosses.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:02 pm 

Gozz
Apart from Danno comment, it is worth checking if the centre bolts of the rear springs are dead square throught the leaf pack. With leaf over designs it is possible for road shocks or untightened U bolts to allow the spring pack to skew rearwrds and take the axle further away from the gearbox. A close inspection may reveal this has happened.

If so loosening ALL unbolts until the axle can be dragged forward a small amount will restore the centre bolts to squuare throught the pack AND restore some more engagement of the yoke inot the transfer case.

I altered a friends PJ BT50 by loosening the U bolts and the axle pulled with ratchet straps forward around 6mm until the centre bolts were back where Fraud wanted them to be. Since they were unequal in their position. correcting both sides also cured the, steering pull to one side, which was caused, not by front end alignment, but rear axle out of square to chassis centreline.After the job the front spring hanger bolt to axle tube was measure the same at both sides. Many vehicles get the rear axle out of square, ie, with centre bolt leaning rearwards but eveyone tries to correct the steering by continually aligning the front. No good oing that unless the rear is correct first.