NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:32 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: chromoly cv/Axles
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 5:42 am 

Danno will a diff drop with offset holes making the diff come forward put alot of strain on the diff drop kit itself?

Everyone I spoke to yesterday either didn't Wanna admit the diff was set back or they really pay no attention at all to what they're doin when they work on cars

Bloke at work reckons the new parado is set up same in the front

I'd be happy with strong cv's for sure

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 7:20 am 

Like Danno says a diff drop kit is " stupidly simple " there is nothing to em , there is nothing to strain .

I think Danno you should go for it and make one , could be a good market for them with me on the top of the list .

gmax a upgraded CV might be a good thing but it's not going to fix the problem on its own .

I believe the CV angle is just to much , something has to give , moving the diff forward would be the best for sure thats a bit much for me to tackle .

I'm playing with steering stop , it might help , might not , I will still be avoiding turning the wheels to full lock in 4wd .

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 7:27 am 

Yeh I mean diff drop helps cv up and down.

But just pulling the diff forward won't work unless to space it out aswell.

I'm goin to just buy diff drop 299 from performance suspension.

I will do the full lock thing ro

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 7:48 am 

Not really sure what strains would be involved moving it forward gmax, I'm on the road atm and will be for the rest of the year but it's definitely doable, I was an engineer in a past life but it's just something I can't get right into without pulling everything apart.

Some days ago I was at Bilbunya dunes WA and had to short but very steep run up a very soft sandy hill/track with no room to run up, the problem was that at the top it was a very hard left and had to be done full boar with rear locker in, remember my car weighs 3.2T, obviously it did it no problem but your car Jacko going by that video would have blown the CV to the Woolies car park in Esperance 200k's away so I'm still not convinced there's there's not something about your car unless it's like the inner guard cracking issue that just seems to affect some...

Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 9:42 am 

Yeah Danno it's got me buggered , it's not like anything has ever been bent under there , it's had 3 wheel alignments all been ok . I have done bugger all 4wheelin in it compared to all my other vehicles
and the tracks up the bush have had heaps of work done on em in recent years they are super easy now days .

I haven't compared it side by side with other Dmax , but have looked under plenty all look the same .

The difference in the turning radius from left to right , what's your take on that .

When you are back over this way you should come and have a look at some , I promise I would not lead you astray on some really nasty stuff , you can get to some really nice camp spots towing a camper easily wouldn't even need 4wd and still be in the middle of the bush .

gmax the new Prado hasn't got the diff set back , CV is straight diff to wheel centre , I checked .

From all the vehicles I have checked this model Isuzu is the only one , I have found so far
Why it's like that only someone in the Design team would know . I bet most mechanics that service them wouldn't even notice .

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 7:44 pm 

Hi mate
I hope you get this cv joints problem work out. Can't remember if you said, but did the second cv break at the same place as the first one and would a heat treat to the new cv joint can that be done?

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 9:26 pm 

ARROW1 wrote:
Hi mate
I hope you get this cv joints problem work out. Can't remember if you said, but did the second cv break at the same place as the first one and would a heat treat to the new cv joint can that be done?

G'day Arrow ,yes it exploded the outer CV joint , same as the first one
I strongly believe it's the angle the CV is at full lock , it is extreme , if you can be bothered jack up one wheel and turn ya wheels to full lock and have a look .

The Diff being set back behind the centre of the wheel , I believe is the cause of the extreme angle

I know not many here have broken CV's , if any . There have been quite a few posts on the FB page of broken CV's , most back when I did my first one , just over 12 months ago now , I remember comments like " you can break the bloody things in ya drive way " others saying how easily they break

It was suggested on FB it might be the TC , contributing to the breakages because the previous model didn't have a issue and didn't have TC , just about everyone says when in 4x4 , turn TC off

BUT as I have discovered the previous model didn't have a rear set diff either , no other IFS 4x4 has that I know of , I've checked a lot in the last few days .

A mate broke one driving across a cow paddock , none of that is a figment of my imagination , some are suggesting it is . ( lol )

Some are suggesting its a problem with my Ute , could be I guess but buggered if I can see it , we have had it on a hoist , my mates plus a few mechanics have had a real good look , nothing looks out of place , except that bloody diff .

I have a photo of the CV angle on my phone , I should post it and compare it to others ,

I would really like to get another Dmax beside mine , jack em both up take the wheels off , turn them both lock to lock , I'm betting they will be the same . Be good to get hold of a previous model to .

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 3:08 pm 

Went for a spin today in mates dmax up thr bush went fine
Nothing broken!! The mine cars at work all dmax and they give them shit don't really hear nothing wrong with them

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 6:12 pm 

https://youtu.be/BDMg1GDer-8

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 7:56 pm 

gmax wrote:
https://youtu.be/BDMg1GDer-8

Rallying on stock suspension :shock: :shock: :shock:

Tink

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next