NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:15 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Steering Stops
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 6:58 am 

Na mate I'm not that old hahah.

Done trig before though even with switch backs it's steep.

One other steep track is lower saddle.
I remember army track was pretty bad back in the day.

If ya busting them on lock then steering stops should be a handy mod.

Lady manner Sutton was a pick back in the day to.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 7:09 am 

I will see if I can get a photo later , will have to remove a wheel .

It's a very simple L shaped piece of steel about 4mm thick , it's really only temporary just knocked up quickly , but ya know how these temporary things , sort / kinda turn out to be temporary/permanent ,

Any way if ya stick ya head in behind the front wheel , take the wheel of its easier to see .

The stops are on the bottom of the " Ball Joint " just a couple of pissy knob things , the Ball Joint slide into the lower control arm/wish bone , what ever its correct name is .

There are 4 bolts holding the Ball Joint on , 17mm one end 18mm the other ( I think ) I removed the rear outer bolt
( closest to the wheel ) the 4mm L shaped bit of steel fits under the nut , nut is on top , bolt fits in from underneath ,
L shape is down , over existing stop . You need a new longer bolt ,

You blokes confused yet ,

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 8:14 am 

If you can get a drawing or picture of what ya want for this steering stops I might make something up at work if I get some free time

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 9:07 am 

gmax wrote:
If you can get a drawing or picture of what ya want for this steering stops I might make something up at work if I get some free time

Have just snapped a few pics , if you can knock some up that would be great . Its a bit of stuffing around for me , since I sold my Farm , I have to go to a mates place to do anything like now , He has just shot through for a couple of weeks

I stuffed up the spanner size in the post above , both 17mm bolt and nut , and the bolt drops down from the top , nut underneath , not on the top
( memory )

Here ya go

This is the rear stop on the left side , front is the same , the rear one never touched on full lock , the front one on the other side was limiting the left lock .
Left front stop limits right lock , You would only need to make both rear stops bigger , I have only done the left for now

See where the stop hits near the wheel , if a good welder could weld a something on there might be better ,

I bought this new Lower Ball Joint , thought it might be possible to build up the stops , but you would really need to know what you were doing , to much heat and it could bugger the Joint or weaken the metal ,

The hole in the Ball Joint is 13mm , the bolt is 50mm long so you need a longer one for thickness of the bit of steel you use . I used 5mm , I had to use what I could find laying around at the mates place , I would probably be tempted to go a bit thicker , see what the lock is like , grind a bit off at a time with a 4" grinder , if I had to

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:53 am 

Tht should work alright I reckon jacko.
Maybe just glue a rubber stop so it's not metal on metal hitting

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 11:14 am 

gmax wrote:
Tht should work alright I reckon jacko.
Maybe just glue a rubber stop so it's not metal on metal hitting

I guess I could try that but doubt it would stay there for long

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 12:56 pm 

Or maybe hold it on with pop rivets

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 3:40 pm 

Reckon you'll keep adjusting steering until you concor flats track lol?

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 6:45 pm 

What you've done is spot on Jacko, do not drill, cut or even consider welding that ball joint or kiss your insurance goodbye.

Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 7:29 pm 

Danno wrote:
What you've done is spot on Jacko, do not drill, cut or even consider welding that ball joint or kiss your insurance goodbye.

Yep I bought the ball joint , then had second thoughts when I had a good look at it . Then come up with plan B .

I now just have to put it to the test , we are still planning to hook the Tvan up and head off later this week or early next . The wife has come down with a wot atm , that has delayed the departure , have to see how things go over the next few days . Think we might head up the centre , save the South Coast of WA for better weather .

I don't really want to change another CV right now , with any luck , I won't need the spare when we are away .

I really do need to test it , if I can't take this Dmax where I took my Hilux with confidence , I will have to get rid of it .

I see just tonight another Dmax has turned up on FB with a busted CV , I need to find out if they have all broken when turning and the CV is OK otherwise . I'm hoping that's the case .

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next