NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:11 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

Post subject: No 4WD
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:38 pm 

Today I replaced my driver's side CV after breaking it offroad last week. See the "Another CV" thread for that recount. I replaced the shaft with a DTA shaft sourced by my local auto spares shop, cost was $235.

Anyway, I now have an issue where 4WD will not engage. I hear the click noise but the lights on the dash just continue to flash and the steering does not go heavy so it's definitely not engaging. If I try 4L, I get the low range gears but again no 4WD, just flashing lights. This is almost certainly a secondary damage sustained from the CV breakage, because it was working fine before the incident.

At this point I'm hoping it's just a code preventing 4WD from engaging, perhaps a self preservation measure. I've tried disconnecting the battery hoping to clear it, but no luck. Anyone know what it could be going by the symptoms I've described? Transfer case?

Post subject: Re: No 4WD
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:34 am 

You may have damaged the sliding sleeve which locks the two sides together. IF that is the case the change mechanism might require a look see.
The cluck is the transfer changing to L but it always happens before the front axle lock (sideside) is done. With no 4 wd the two sides seem to be remaining unlocked.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:31 am 

Hmm. I've seen references to lubrication of sliding sleeve, but not sure where it is.

With the transfer case in 2H I climbed under and checked the front propeller shaft, it spins freely by hand. With the transfer case in 4H and lights flashing the front propeller shaft is locked and engaged with the rear drive shaft, as it should be. So this would tell me the front diff is getting power. Is there any electronic feedback from the front diff about 4WD status?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:39 pm 

There is a front drive shaft to the front diff which I guess you are testing by hand.

The driver's side axle is what mydmax is talking about. It is normally disconnected from the front diff and only engages after the front drive shaft has been engaged. The driver's side axle is engaged by a sliding sleeve activated by the Shift On The Fly actuator on the front axle.

Tink

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:51 pm 

http://www.newd-max.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1165&start=10
might be relevant.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:24 pm 

maldotcom2
There is wiring (5 wires I think 2 motor 3 sensing) to the change mechanism for the SOTF system. The motor is driven one way OR the other to engage or disengage the sliding splined sleeve ring.
When the operation has occurred, ie, become locked, the selector arm will activate a contact to indicate to the system the sleeve has moved and locked AND also when it is unlocked.. If it doesn't move or engage, then the feed back signal will not happen and the 4wd module will sit in limbo because change system the cannot make the change happen. Continual flashing on dash I presume. That is what happens with mine Cos I got FWH on and the splines don't always line up immediately because the shafts are not turning if the hubs aren't locked.

The rules change if you have FWH fitted and not locked.

You may have damaged the wiring, plug dirty, or physical mechanical problem. Can't tell from here.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:05 pm 

Tink wrote:
The driver's side axle is what mydmax is talking about. It is normally disconnected from the front diff and only engages after the front drive shaft has been engaged. The driver's side axle is engaged by a sliding sleeve activated by the Shift On The Fly actuator on the front axle.

I see. You've got me very worried now, I wasn't aware of this. It was the driver's side CV shaft that I just finished replacing, I hope there wasn't something that had to be lined up on the diff side, I just shoved the new shaft in and bolted it up. :shock:

I really need to understand what this sliding shaft looks like, surely it can't be too hidden because it's casually mentioned as a point of lubrication on services. Here's a pic from the old workshop manual, is it item number 8?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:28 pm 

Just a little update. I've had the dealership take a look at the 4WD fault, and they have diagnosed it as a broken "4WD actuator on the front diff". So Item #5 on the diagram above I assume. When I asked if this is a common failure they said they have never even replaced one before. Dealership then refused the warranty because I have replaced the CV shaft. Verbal quote over the phone was $900 for actuator replacement. I then asked for a printed quote when I picked up the vehicle unrepaired, quote was now $750.

I then began consultation with IUA who liaised with the dealership and basically reiterated the dealership's position to me. When I challenged their stance they said the warranty would only be honoured if the actuator failure could be verified as a "manufacturing fault", and they want the dealership to verify this with a secondary appointment, despite the dealership having allegedly never replaced one before. :lol:

Suffice to say, I have given both the dealership and IUA the chance to do the right thing. However I have zero faith the dealership will be able to accurately diagnose the cause of the failure, not only due to inexperience but also because they have a vested interest in denying the warranty claim. I have now raised a case with Department of Fair Trading to see if I have a case here or not.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:06 pm 

Gday maldotcom2
How did you go with the dealer refusing warranty issue?
Cheers

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:16 am 

Ahh the irony...Isuzu knocking back a warranty claim on a part that was damaged by a part that is a very well known weak point and bad design... :roll:

Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549