NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:53 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

Post subject: Re: No 4WD
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:07 am 

Looking at the exploded diagram above, and my pic in this post, how can the drive shaft affect the actuator?

It looks to me like 9 engages with the RH end of 11. Assuming that's right, as far as I can see, the actuator 5 and the fork at the RH end of it, plus the things that it moves, 8 & 9, these are all isolated from whatever is R of the plate that '3' points to.

Except that I reckon 9 sits on the LH end of the uni shaft.

So they'd have to be saying that 9 isn't sliding properly over the shaft. That should be easy to demonstrate.

Is my logic OK here?

As a separate thought, I've got some postings on this forum from a year or two ago, where I describe the car going into 4WD, then falling out, then in again. If this had happened under load, like pushing up a hill, then there would be instant overstress on the drive line, and maybe 11-9, or 9-uni shaft, or other bits of the uni shaft, would have broken. Hard to trace history now, unless you actually have a bucket full of bits that you can post-mortem.

Attachments:
uni.jpg
uni.jpg [ 36.05 KiB | Viewed 2409 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:55 pm 

Hey maldotcom2

How much did you end up paying for this? I think I have the same problem. Snapped a cv., got it fixed to go 4 wheeling only for to not engage at all. I can still here it trying to engage. Although light keeps flashing.

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:46 pm 

If the selector ring can't slide over the shaft spline the system will try until the shift controller times out and then no 4wd happens.
The SOTF spline and/or change ring is possibly damaged.
It won't lock in if the rotation of the front and rear wheels are not the same speed. Best done in a straight line and not when turning because the diff centre speed of rotation, created by transfer case forward shaft drive, has to be the same as the shaft it is trying to mate with.

The splines may be bent, ie, rotationally twisted and that may prevent engagement, also can be forcing out under load. If so not all good in the changer mechanism if that is occurring.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:01 am 

mydmax wrote:
It won't lock in if the rotation of the front and rear wheels are not the same speed.

and my hobby horse from some time ago, if you have subsdtantially different amounts of tyre wear &/or a different size spare on.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:49 pm 

garrytre
That would cause it too for an, on the move 4wd select, if stopped, or near to, it should still flick into 4wd with different dia tyres.
I often select H4 when backing and with the FWHubs not locked in, it often has to decide for a while before achieving success. A couple of time outs sometimes.