NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:14 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

Post subject: Auto lockup / hold gears
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:12 am 

Hey all! Really simple question here that no one seems to have answered out in google land... how does the auto behave? 2012-14 D-Max in Australia im looking at buying.

1. does it stay in the gear you manually select? this may seem like a stupid question but my prado (selling) uses the selection as a maximum. e.g. you select 3 and it uses 1,2,3 when ever it wants. Select 5 and it uses 1,2,3,4,5 when ever it wants. Seems stupid to me. You have tonnes of tourque but if you push pedal down you rev its nuts off.

2. Does the tourque converter lock well, by that i mean if it does hold a gear as i asked above, can you put your foot to the floor in say 4th and it stays in 4th and stays locked up with no flaring?

thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:00 am 

Twodaze.
ALL autos work on same principal. You seem to want it to do what you want. Nothing you mentioned is true or sensible. Of course it will use all in the range you select. YES it will change down because pressing tge accellerator tells the engine to work harder and to do that accelleration it has to change down in order to provide the degree ofmechanical advantage necessary.
You can't have the torque converter lock up clutch engaged all the time because it isn't big enough to transmit high torque, only light torque load as in cruising.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:15 pm 

Glad I didnt ask that question, would have needed asbestos under garments :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:46 pm 

Will only lock in first, if you want that sort of gear selection get the manual box.
Good luck on the purchase.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:17 pm 

the colorado i test drove on the weekend did exactly what i have asked. if you set it to 4 and floored it at 60kmph it STAYED in 4th locked up, with no flare. my prado does not, so... no all autos are different.

can someone who knows the answer please answer.

So, now you know that, do i really need asbestos underpants? or do i need someone who can give me a definitive answer instead of an opinion about my questions validity?

and just to clarify, no, my underpants are fine, but thanks for asking, and, my question is really about crusing speeds. do you really want your auto to flog your diesel at 4000rpm up a hill when it could have done it nicely at 2500 full throttle in 4th.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:13 pm 

paintah
You seem a little tender re replies.

twodaze.
Why on earth do you want the auto to stay in lockup 4th and not change down. The pressing of the pedal is the command to do just that.
At 60kmh I would not like ALL the engine torque being forced through a locked torque converter clutch. They are small and only made for cruisng loads/torque, not transmitting high torque.
If the auto changes down you are demanding heaps and to ensure the poor little clutch doesn't slip and fry, especially when towing, it is good to have it change down or at least go out of lockup.
The Colorado auto isn't the best available.

Asking it to stay in 4th and not change down means less revs of course BUT extreme engine exhaust temps and load on other sections, if fuelling that much to pull a load up hill at 2500 where other makes change to save the mechanicals in the system.
I used to rebuild electronic 4 speed autos so have seen what abuse does. Also seen what slipping clutches do too.
No auto and engine combination is going to sit at 4000rpm, the demand will speed the while vehicle up and the auto will change up as it is programmed to do. If you are in a situation where is sits at 4000rpm constantly you are glossly overloading it with tow weight AND demanding more forward speed than is sensible and simply abusing the hell out of the whole vehicle.

Most people who want/expect out of the ordinary performance usually are abusing the auto.
Sorry if this isn't to your liking. Perhaps with a deeper understanding of an auto you may alter your expectations.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:32 pm 

I'm not sure I'm understanding what's being asked or said here , what's " flare "
Anyway I have a 5speed auto 2014 Dmax , I tow a Tvan camper , all up about 4.2T
We are traveling now done about 8k so far ,
I use my auto in auto and also change gears manually when I think its appropriate .
I have noticed on some hills when the auto has select 4th and I then have knocked the stick into manual
just coz I thought it was a good idea at the time , I have then shifted back into D drive and the auto has immediately changed down to 3rd ,
Is that what you are asking twodaze

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:44 am 

Hi
Yep just a simple real world answer is all I was after.
Every auto is different.. very very different.
E.g Prado i own sux. It does what it wants with the limits of the top gear you chose.
Cx-5 2.2L twin turbo diesel we also own. Awesome auto. Stays in the gear you select even at full throttle at say 1500rpm with absolutely no slip. This is a Mazda thing as they have a wet multi plate torque converter lock. It has a fluid coupling torque converter to get going and wet plate clutch pack to lock up as soon as it can. They did this as they didn't like the soggy feel of an auto nor all the issues and harshness of dual clutch DSG like VW. So they made Their own hybrid auto.

Then.. I test drove the collorado and it holds gears like I've asked I'm my question...

So with so much difference in all the types and only having driven a manual dmax.. I just want to know how the auto behaves.

Let me simplify the question.. if you have a 2012ish Dmax auto, and its in say 4th gear at say 70kmph. Will it stay in 4th that you have selected yourself as you press harder and harder on the accelerator or will it ignore your selection and kick down. The colorado and my mazda do not, my prado does. What does the Dmax do?

Last edited by twodaze on Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:55 am 

mydmax wrote:
Why on earth do you want the auto to stay in lockup 4th and not change down.

I had to drive some sort of 1.6 - 2 litre petrol auto up a steep gravel hill. In 'auto' it kept changing down,-> too much torque, wheels skidding, -> foot off the accelerator, changed up, slowed down, -> foot down on accelerator, etc etc

There was some sort of setting where I put it in 3 and it stayed there working hard, didn't change down, so I could control the wheel torque via the accelerator pedal, got up the hill no dramas.

Maybe that's what twodaze is wanting.

Still prefer a manual & less electronic magic & randomness.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:36 am 

Let me simplify the question.. if you have a 2012ish Dmax auto, and its in say 4th gear at say 70kmph. Will it stay in 4th that you have selected yourself as you

I'm going to say yes it will but if you come to a complete stop it will change to 1st and and rev its arse off until I go whoops I forgot I forgot I was in manual.

What you are saying about the Prado , my mates new 2.8 Hilux is the same , I thought that was a good thing for towing if you never wanted to use the 2 overdrive top gears , it just acts like a 4 speed auto rather than manually shifting all the time .