NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:53 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Auto Tranny Cooler
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:55 am 

Thank you for those comparisons. I have been extremely concerned since having that AT warning light come on with 160 deg temps back in May last year, as outlined in a previous post.
Merv

2011 LSU Tough Dog suspension, snorkel, L.R. fuel tank, B.B. & winch, dual battery, chip, 3"ex.,ARB conopy and roof racks with internal suports, trade style roof rack, uhf, drawer system, F.W. hubs, egr plate, in dash nav system, T.P.M.S. +

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:29 pm 

Yeah 160 is getting up there , I would be stopping and letting things cool down if it got that high , the light is supposed to come on at 130 l believe.
Wouldn't hurt to change the trans oil ,

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:26 pm 

When I was having my problems last year with the light coming on, I was told it was 150. Also recall seeing it on a printed page from the workshop manual.

If the light come on, stop and idle it till it goes off again. I read a site from USA that rated the transmission fluid at different temperature and 150 was good for only 1,000k.

2014 LST Ash Beige. SMM Steel canopy, Outback Drawers, dual battery with 2 x 160W solar panels (keeps the beers nice and cold), 135L tank, TJM T15 alloy bar with Xray-vision LED lights, Dumbo Clearview Mirrors. The ultimate tow truck.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:00 am 

Jackofjr wrote:
Yeah 160 is getting up there , I would be stopping and letting things cool down if it got that high , the light is supposed to come on at 130 l believe.
Wouldn't hurt to change the trans oil ,

Yep that is pretty close to the temperature the light comes on, can vouch for that ;) mine was certainly on at 135 deg. and did not go out until it got back below about 120 I think it was. Might be towing the van up to Armidale in a couple of weeks time for a few days so will watch what sort of temperatures I get and can always resort to my low range D thing that I talked about previously if it is getting worryingly hot...... or might just do that regardless as it maintains same road speed as 2H and has heaps more revs and power so much better cooling and less load on drivetrain. Have been waiting to get everything sorted out prior to getting oil changed, might even talk to the transmission service place about using fully synthetic oil as I have heard it withstands high temperatures much better?
Merv

2011 LSU Tough Dog suspension, snorkel, L.R. fuel tank, B.B. & winch, dual battery, chip, 3"ex.,ARB conopy and roof racks with internal suports, trade style roof rack, uhf, drawer system, F.W. hubs, egr plate, in dash nav system, T.P.M.S. +

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:45 pm 

Guys the transmission and most notably the software differences between the 4 and 5 spd boxes are quite significant. The later 5spd spends a lot more time in lock up and has this function in 3rd 4th and 5th. I have seen 110 before towing 3t slowly up a looong hill. The temps drop slowly but mostly spend time around the 60 mark not towing and on highway. They will creep up to coolant temp after a long trip. I have no additional cooler yet however we don't have the ambients that some of you guys see on the big island. In short the 4spd will have a higher incidence of overheating in my opinion due to its design and programming.
Jc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:19 pm 

Cruising the Highway at 100 - 110 my temp is usually mid 80's , it seems there is not a lot of difference between Bizze1's 4 speed and my 5 .

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:38 pm 

Jackofjr wrote:
Cruising the Highway at 100 - 110 my temp is usually mid 80's , it seems there is not a lot of difference between Bizze1's 4 speed and my 5 .

Wait till it starts working hard. The main reason for my post was to outline the differences between the 2 when called on to work. I'm guessing there was a bit of a discussion about the suitability of the early Aisin trans to cope with the extra torque and towing cap of the 2012 on models. The trans shop I asked advice about the TB50LS trans before i bought my dmax said they have seen no issues yet with this gearbox in the LC200 V8 and certainly don't expect to see any behind the 4jj1tcx. In direct contrast to the 6l60 in the colorado....

The coolant to oil cooler in the radiator does a very good job and this type of cooler is roughly 4 times as efficient as air to oil type. Having both in series works well however.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:54 am 

In 2014 I posted re this happening to me. Since then I fitted an external cooler, then went out to Longreach and back, then up to Cape Trib. Dmax was pulling 2.9 tonne van at Longreach area in 45 degree heat, all good. Money well spent, recommend it get done for those times 'out there'

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:42 pm 

What was the highest temp the trans got to ?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:06 pm 

Working pretty hard in soft sand over the weekend got auto trans temp to 109. This was 3rd gear high range with not much on board. I could have taken it easier which would bring it down a little i think. Coolant temp constant low 90's

For comparison used low range 4th gear coming back through the same section trans temp came down to low 100's coolant temp dropped backed to normal 86 degrees however was going alot slower probably %60 of the speed.

My car has been remapped for comparitive purposes extra power made the soft stuff a breeze however it never felt underpowered previously, wish i had taken a bit more notice to get a gauge as to whether the extra power actually equals more heat through the driveline coolant temps are most definantly lower but.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next