NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:13 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Auto Tranny Cooler
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:00 pm 

souled_out
Your auto trans will deliver large quantities of heat to the water system which also cools the engine when there is a high slip rate happening in the torque converter. It might be best if your are aware of the situation and drive to minimize heat generated by the burning of fuel and it's distribution through the various systems of the vehicle.

Longer life results from doing that and the heat doesn't then get to near maxxed out which will/may leave you with a limp mode or similar.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:08 pm 

thanks mydmax for the heads up in regards to heat. When talking about slip rate in the torque converter are you referring to the unlocked/locked action and the heat generated from this? I was in auto mode for both runs with the gearbox rarely changing out of 3rd on the high range run where as pre-remap it would drop to 2nd more often then not.

I was a little concerned at the temps reached (transmission) does this sound excessive enough to warrant a trans cooler?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:21 pm 

Ideally you want the trans to run at around the same as the engine temp.
The auto converter only slips when no lockup is current and therefore there is no direct drive but a turbulent pumping action of impeller, stator and turbine. That action is converting some engine power to heat in the auto fluid, (which is maximum at transmission stall ie, no forward movement) which has to be dissipated into the water in the radiator bottom tank.
The bottom tank should be far cooler than the top at 84C or thereabouts. When engine is working, ie in sand, more power has to be dissipated as heat. If engine heat has warmed/heated the rad system and the lower part of the rad is now nearer to engine operating temp, which will have risen, it has less ability to cool the very hot auto fluid heat via the exchanger in the bottom of the rad.

So now you are getting close to engine overheat/runaway and the auto fluid temp will rise alarmingly.
That will make the two systems, engine and auto close to maximum heat.

If towing or sand driving I would fit a trans cooler in the hottest, ie the exit line from the auto so it's high temp which has a the maximum ability to dissipate heat because of the temp differential with ambient temp, will ensure the largest amount of heat is got rid of from the system so water in rad isn't grossly heated by the auto.

Post subject: Auto tranny cooler.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:57 pm 

After my trip up the high country with jacko and my tranny light coming on ( jacko has a tranny cooler and no light came on) I have been thinking about adding one. PWR have a 'generic' one with a kit for $170 delivered from their ebay shop. I have been quoted 1.5 hrs for labour so about $320 to fit it but I would get the tranny fluid replaced and a new filter so I am guessing about $450.
Anyway...anyone got good or bad to say about PWR products??

MY15 SX Spacecab,ARB GVM Upgrade,Auto,White,Tinted,Towbar,2.2m O'Brien Alloy Tray,Trundle Draw,ARB Deluxe Steel Bar, Ironman 9500lb Monster Winch,Alloys,Mortels sheepskin seat covers,ARB Sidesteps and Rails,Plenty of Dynamat,Safari Snorkus,AVM HP Hubs

Post subject: Re: Auto tranny cooler.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:09 pm 

Silver05 wrote:
After my trip up the high country with jacko and my tranny light coming on ( jacko has a tranny cooler and no light came on) I have been thinking about adding one. PWR have a 'generic' one with a kit for $170 delivered from their ebay shop. I have been quoted 1.5 hrs for labour so about $320 to fit it but I would get the tranny fluid replaced and a new filter so I am guessing about $450.
Anyway...anyone got good or bad to say about PWR products??

Certainly a brand I would trust. Started out as Paul Weel Racing many years ago and just grew. They are listed on the ASX now.

Post subject: Re: Auto tranny cooler.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:30 pm 

I have used PWR Oil coolers and Also Radiators in previous cars - They are more $$ then the cheap import stuff, but in my opinion they are better quality and also made in AUS.

I

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:12 am 

Just looking for an update to this discussion.

I have recently updated to a MY17 D-Max with 6 speed auto.

We are getting ready for another trip east in three weeks which will be taking us via Broken Hill to Bathurst.

I have noticed on a short test trip with the Silverline in tow (3tonne) on a 35c day the auto temp on Scangauge was around 105c. on a decent hill. (Collie Hill on Coalfields Highway for anyone that knows it)

Is it advisable to fit a tranny cooler & if so what is the recommended one for this car please?

Thanks Neil

MY2017 D-Max LS-U, delivered 08/11/2017. Factory Canopy, Bonnet Protector, Wind Deflectors to all doors, Side Steps, Isuzu Towbar, TX-3350 UHF Radio, Blackvue Dash Cam, Dark Window Tint, TowPro Elite Brake Controller, Rhino Cross Racks, Awning, Graphics.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:39 am 

Neil, while I can't recommend a specific cooler I do think they are needed in many cases.
If towing 3 tonnes the engine and trans have to be working at a higher level than normal and so to keep a reserve of cooling a trans cooler is best to have. If you buy one with a fan which can be manually or thermostatically switched on when the fluid gets too hot will be an advantage.

Any time you get a tail wind and dragging a load it will test the system just as much as a hill and slower speed will do. Therefore you need a backup to dissipate heat amd take the heat load off the engine cooling system. If it gets too hot, what then? because it can't cool anything if the engine cooling system is overworked.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:46 pm 

for you guys worried about the temp being to cold when not towing/ winter the simple solution is one of these http://performancewarehouse.com.au/inde ... ct_id=2601

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:53 pm 

bloosted wrote:
for you guys worried about the temp being to cold when not towing/ winter the simple solution is one of these http://performancewarehouse.com.au/inde ... ct_id=2601

Thanks bloosted, just found them on eBay for just under $100. which is a savings of nearly $30 with shipping costs added.

I think I have finally proved that a cooler is a good idea, couple of weeks ago we towed out van (2500kg) up to Carnarvon and the outside temperature was 42°C and I was struggling to keep the ATF temperature under 100°C, a couple of times it reached 110°C with the coolant getting to 108°C. Mind you I was pushing along at 100 on the GPS, my saving grace was having a hot tailwind.

On the trip back from Carnarvon to Kalbarri yesterday I reduced the speed to 85-90 k/h with an outside temperature of 34°C and never had anything higher than 100°C on ATF and coolant.

Has anyone had any experience with fitting a Fluid control thermostat bypass with there cooler?

2014 LST Ash Beige. SMM Steel canopy, Outback Drawers, dual battery with 2 x 160W solar panels (keeps the beers nice and cold), 135L tank, TJM T15 alloy bar with Xray-vision LED lights, Dumbo Clearview Mirrors. The ultimate tow truck.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next