NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:38 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: E-Lockers
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 8:39 am 

Correction to the above I mentioned to the installer that my E-lockers didn't lock in 2wd , he wanted to have a look coz they are supposed , what ever it was is corrected , they do now .

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 8:56 am 

Jackofjr wrote:
Correction to the above I mentioned to the installer that my E-lockers didn't lock in 2wd , he wanted to have a look coz they are supposed , what ever it was is corrected , they do now .

Tell him he owe's you a day of winching.

Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:07 am 

Danno wrote:
Jackofjr wrote:

Tell him he owe's you a day of winching.

I did Danno ( lol )

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 7:46 pm 

Hey Jacko what diff oil did they use for the e-lockers mate. What grade specifically if you know or anyone who's got one knows.
Apparently they're a bit sensitive to the oil being a little too thick..

Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:51 am 

He did say to use LSD oil but I have read somewhere else to use ordinary Diff Oil .
Pity I didn't see this post yesterday before I went to the Explore Oz 4x4 Show , Harrop were there but I didn't talk to them .

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:58 pm 

Well I'm pretty annoyed & unhappy with Opposite Lock. And I'm pissed off that I'm not a mechanic, or mechanical, so I'm vulnerable to companies doing crap jobs.

If the big things went OK then the little irritations & questions could pass, but when the big things go wrong, the rest goes into the mix.

So for my E-Locker from OL, there were a few delays, a month here, week there, plus me being away a bit. That's OK.

When I said I wanted a good job, no stuff ups, and I'd had a gutsfull of installers doing the wrong thing, I was assured that OL installed these things OK, and the ones that failed were problems with the E-Locker itself. Hmm, not so reassuring.

So today I dropped my car off to get the E-Locker installed in the rear diff, as per my deposit reciept, their computer, etc, etc. Chatting to the guy at the counter, who seemed to know a bit about it, I said "is it you that's going to install it?" "Yes."

So when I get back this afternoon the same guy looks up & mentions a front diff locker. What, I wanted a rear one. Corrects himself, rear one.
Then he mentions that the guy that fitted it..... What? Not you?

Anyway it seems the guy that fitted it said the front wheel bearings were loose. What? why would they be checking the front wheel bearings?

So far in this story that's all the little stuff that I wouldn't worry too much about. And yes, there's a new switch with a light that goes on on the dash, and a new wire and a lot of cleanness around the diff, so it looks like I got an E-Locker in the rear diff.

But the big stuff. I hop in the car, oops, the handbrake lever's changed. Used to grab about 15 or 20 degrees above horiz, now it goes up to about 60 degrees. Hmm, tell the man. He said that's OK, it's just the self adjusting mechanism in the handbrake (what?) and to pump the brake pedal a few times. Hmm, brake pedal used to stop maybe 30mm down and stay there. Now it goes down further before getting any resistance, and then slowly keeps going nearly to the floor. Repeatedly.

They reasure me they hadn't touched the brakes, and only taken the wheels apart enough to move the axle out a few cm to put the diff in. I'm not a mechanic, so I said I wasn't going to argue with them about what they did or didn't do, but that my brakes were way different now than when I dropped the car off this morning. More "we didn't touch the brakes", more "I'm not arguing but they're different" a few more times.

So it's there overnight, hopefully get fixed in the morning.

My concern is that these guys might or not be brake mechanics, so whatever they do might make things worse. Dunno where I stand legally. Maybe an option is to demand they take it to the Isuzu shop, just down the road, and pay My Isuzu to fix it. Hmm, like I said, dunno what legal say-so I have.

Anyway, big pissed off.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:01 pm 

garrytre
If the brakes are normally adjusting themselves, then as the drum and shoes wear a lip develops in the inner edge of the drum.
That makes it hard/impossible to get the drum off the studs without slackening off the rear shoe adustment so they CAN then withdraw the axles.

If you now have less pedal height, they HAVE TO HAVE loosened the shoe adjustment to perform the work they claim to have done, ie, fit locker to rear centre.

With the switch ON does it actually make the rears lock together as intended? Jack up and make sure.

Because they have altered the sealing of the rear bearing housing, keep an eye on the area, both sides, incase a leak develops.

If they claim they didn't touch the brakes,it indicates the bloke who yu talked to is full of some unsavoury substance and isn't in touch with what really has to happen and doesn't actually know what EXACTLY was done to the vehicle.
It is normal for any/most business/es to go into CAST Iron Undies Mode to protect their backsides.

It is obvious the fitter DIDN'T check the vehicle before release to the customer, If he did, HE would detect the handbrake is not correct, IF he is sufficiently skilled in such matters.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:27 pm 

Yeah, I'm not so technical, but what you say sounds pretty reasonable.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:30 pm 

Got the car back, seemed OK. Tested the brakes, and at very little pressure the ABS started clicking. Pressed harder, a wheel locked & the tyre chirped, then braking seemed OK.

Still a bit nonplussed about what the problem was & why it wasn't sorted yesterday. Would have saved me a bit of a walk, and a long ride on my bicycle today. And still a bit puzzled about why they checked the front wheel bearings.

Oh well, I'll take it to Claude on Friday, get stuff sorted out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:00 pm 

Looking at my sub-cupholder fusebox, I noticed that there's a piggyback fuse plugged into the 10A SRS slot. The extra wire goes to the diff lock. The piggyback has 2 x 15A fuses, so the one for the 10A SRS circuit is now 15A, and one for the diff lock.

I don't know how much all that matters, after all, the diff lock actuates, and the airbag light on the dash goes off in 3 seconds, so I guess all's OK. But I went to the auto-electrician and got him to change it anyway, now wired to direct ignition, $50.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next