NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:07 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:16 pm 

So if i leave it will it pump the diff dry or just till it gets to a level the diff is happy with

Mods please move to driveline tech

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:50 pm 

Chester ver 2.0 wrote:
Did we ever figure out what the little box with the tubes comeing in and out of it bhind the drivers headlight is
There was some talk it is part of the front breather but my mechanic things it is part of the 4wd actuation system

Reason i ask is my extended front breather is leaking a bit of oil when doing high speed 4hi work and i was wondering if i have wired it wrong as the breather simply goes from the white barb at the top front of the front diff through a tube to the engine bay amd is not connected trrough the little black box behind the light if that box actually has something to do with thendiff breather

The tube that goes to the black mystery box should come from the front of the diff from the actuator in the pic, if this is the one that's leaking oil then it would start to make sense as MD pointed out because it's design inside if you look is made to allow anything that gets in there to drain back down that tube.
Where do you have all your tubes going? there should be three including the mystery box tube.

Attachments:
IMG_3864.JPG
IMG_3864.JPG [ 30.03 KiB | Viewed 6393 times ]

Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:54 pm 

Please don't start duplicate topics if you put it in the wrong spot in the first place, just ask for it to be moved as was done and wait please.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:57 pm 

Thanks danno the one that has been bypassed as discussed comes from a barp further to the right than the photo it is a white barb about 3/4 up the front diff pumpkin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:49 pm 

So I have done a lot of looking on this subject, as I have been wanting to get the front done. After three days of research the image attached is the front diff breather (the funny looking back box) just behind the drivers side head light.

See parts catalog: http://catalog.isuzuastraparts.com/dmax2012/index.php

Attachments:
IMG_0586.JPG
IMG_0586.JPG [ 485.16 KiB | Viewed 6312 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:50 pm 

Christo72 wrote:

Yikes! It's got an exhaust brake. 1.56
But I couldn't find the mystery box. Where is it?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:27 pm 

The cooling of the axle will cause a negative pressure, the volume of air displaced by thermal expansion/contraction is WHY the black box is there.
It doesn't allow stuff into the diff as it has a capacity (in liquid volume) to cater for the axle being cooled.
Any water which MAY be ingested, is trapped in the first chamber and prevented from going down the tube to the Diff housing. Any oil which is forced out of the diff housing is trapped in the second chamber, which is atmospherically connected but isolated from the water side, if any water happens to get into there. Simple extension to a safe zone breather is ok and all will work normally, just leave the unit in the line.
The subsequent air expansion in the diff,, as it warms again with use, will cause the water to be expelled from the inlet side, and so keep water and oil separated.
Smart those Japanese.

PS I have never seen inside one but it is there for a reason.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:06 pm 

garrytre wrote:
Christo72 wrote:

Part 4, Chp 4-12, Page 21 & 23 - Part No. 37(B).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:43 pm 

Christo72 wrote:
garrytre wrote:
Christo72 wrote:

Part 4, Chp 4-12, Page 21 & 23 - Part No. 37(B).

thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:00 pm 

mydmax wrote:
The cooling of the axle will cause a negative pressure, the volume of air displaced by thermal expansion/contraction is WHY the black box is there.
It doesn't allow stuff into the diff as it has a capacity (in liquid volume) to cater for the axle being cooled.
Any water which MAY be ingested, is trapped in the first chamber and prevented from going down the tube to the Diff housing. Any oil which is forced out of the diff housing is trapped in the second chamber, which is atmospherically connected but isolated from the water side, if any water happens to get into there. Simple extension to a safe zone breather is ok and all will work normally, just leave the unit in the line.
The subsequent air expansion in the diff,, as it warms again with use, will cause the water to be expelled from the inlet side, and so keep water and oil separated.
Smart those Japanese.

PS I have never seen inside one but it is there for a reason.

I have seen inside one and it's a completely hollow single chamber, any liquid that gets in there will go straight down the tube to the axle which attaches to the lowest point of the unit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next