NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:15 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:54 pm 

The oil collection box is there for an important reason, to collect the oil being blown out of the SOTF up the breather tube. It allows the oil to drain back down into the SOTF as it cools. Do not bypass this box. Extend the breather from the top of the box.
Tink

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:24 pm 

alian wrote:
Danno wrote:
Righto guy's back on topic now.

So finally getting around to extending the front diff breathers. Has anyone bypassed/removed the little plastic box behind the driver side headlight and run the piping straight up to a breather? or have they just extended the top tube out of the box. I have read people have joined all 3 together and run that to a breather.
Cheers Ian

>bypassed/removed the little plastic box behind the driver side headlight and run the piping straight up to a breather
My mechanic did that, I'm not sure its a good idea.
If I had done it, I would have left the little box and added longer tube to its outlet side. Just cos I thought, if Mr Isuzu goes to the expense of putting it there, there must be some reason. But it was about 4 years & 60,000km ago. Nothing broke yet.

>joined all 3 together and run that to a breather
Hmm, there are more than 3 breathers on the car. I've got 6 separate terminating filters near the yellow cap windscreen washer filler. They all have that fuzz of dust / oil mist on them, which I guess is ok from the point of view of how much is being lost. But I think if they ran together, the various different oils might backflow & mix. Would it matter? Don't know.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:40 am 

I cannot see. for the life of me, how a SOTF breather for the front axle can push out much air displacement at all. It runs in the coolest airflow and the diif often isn't even required to transmit any power, so heat generated will be far less than anything else. You won't lose oil out of any breather, but the little capture box is to make sure. If all breather tubes go to a central branch and then filter vented they aren't going to cross pollinate. Any dust on a filter is probably because of production lubricant or similar.
All the breather tubes don't expell a continuous stream of oily airflow like an engine does. Any airflow is slow and gradual as the vented item/system warms up.

All the breathers I have seen, unless very close to the axle tube or gearbox, never has any oil in the tube at all. The SOTF system hardly ever gets turbulated and only moves for a short second when changing to 4wd, clunk.

All breather origins are not directly near oil turbulence in autos or diffs etc and even though they heat up they don't keep expelling anything, they stop when their internal air content gets to/reaches the maximum of the auto or whatever.
An exception to this is, if anyone has an ARB airlocker and they do run airflow out the breather while the lock is on due to compressor flow leakage.
Breathers are excellent to have extended, but the whole concept is extremely simple, no technicalities at all but the aftermarket business sellers of kits have somehow made it sound as though it is high tech. Much the same as breathing underwater using a hollow length of straw, like the Aborigines did thousands of years ago.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:12 am 

Gee you crack me up mydmax. You reckon you know more than the Isuzu engineers and designers? Let me tell you that a vehicle manufacturer will delete a half cent screw from a vehicle build to save costs if that screw wasn’t necessary.

So the Isuzu engineers have determined that there is a need to catch the oil vented from the SOTF breather so that the oil is then returned to the SOTF, and have gone to the expense of designing, developing, testing and manufacturing an oil capture device then gone to the additional expense of installing this device on the assembly line, yet you reckon it is all BS. Funny man.

Tink

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:36 am 

Tink.
What are you on about? I didn't claim I know more than Isuzu at any time. Your interpretation. I know the unit is there and know what it is for. It is a good idea. But there is only 120cc of oil in the SOTF area and even if the diff expansion pushed it all out it would come out the breather. That doesn't ever seem to happen and if others are connected to one point above the unit there is no oil flow to mix as a poster asked about.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7