NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:05 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:07 pm 

I have a brand new 2017 MUX LS U - wonderful car so far.
I am fitting it out for extended trips with a camper trailer.
It will replace a 12 year old 210,000 Land Rover Discovery 3 so has a lot to live up to. We have just finished 18,600km trip across Australia with no major problems.
Anyway I had a factory fitted towbar and in line socket installed by ISUZU.
When I plugged the trailer in the ABS light and ESC light came on which was a worry. After checking things through I found the brake light fuse (15amp) blown so replaced and tried again same result.
Just to check before digging into the wiring in the trailer I plugged in to the Land Rover (15amp also) and all was OK - Strange???
Next was to plug in the MUX again without touching the brake - no blown fuse!!
I reasoned from this that the 15amp fuse may not have been big enough so I replaced with 20amp fuse and all was good.
Hard to believe that the car brake lights and a basic trailer brake light can draw more than 15amps.
Has anyone else had such a problem

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:37 pm 

Welcome Geoff.

You are correct, the lights are not drawing 15, nor 20, amps. You will have a short in your trailer plug or the plug is incorrectly wired. Seen and read about the same issue hundreds of times (not exaggerating either). Check you plugs, check your installation. Something is wrong.

Does your trailer have electric brakes? Does your MUXhave an electric brake controller installed?

Tink

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:07 pm 

G’day Geoff.
I agree with tink. The brake globe filaments combined will only draw a maximum of 4 amps and therefore increasing the fuse to larger, simply means you are closer to burning your vehicle. If ANY FUSE ever blows there is a problem which should be rectified. Do not increase the rating EVER.

As tink has alluded to, problems are often in the trailer plugs and if there is a short the wiring then begins to act as a fuse if the circuit fuse is much bigger than the expected current draw.

I suggest you locate a blown fuse and solder a wire to each side of the fuse at the top of it’s blades. Have them approx 2 metres long and fit a 50w globe to the other end. That becomes a load capable test light, which, when in the same fuse slot will illuminate fully when a short circuit exists. When no short it will glow less and also the stop lights will glow dimmer than usual as the current is then shared.

If the globe burns bright then the fault is present.