NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:57 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

Post subject: sakura filters
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:42 am 

i cant find the micron rating for the sakura fuel filter that fits in the factory fuel filter assembly on the 2012 and on dmax. i normally use genuine and from what i can find they are rated 5 microns. is it safe to assume sakura would have to match this? ive seen the same donaldson part listed somewhere as 10 micron, wtf?
id like to use the sakura filters if they are good enough as i can get the 4 piece filter kit for around $50. i think but have been wrong before that sakura make some filters for isuzu and many others, the ones stamped made in indonesia on the box.

Post subject: Re: sakura filters
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:20 am 

4jj1
If Donaldson has a direct replacement for the OE filter it will not be of larger size than the OE one. Donaldson is in the filter business and make filters as good as if not better.
Donaldson know the micron size of OE filters and make theirs to the same performance at least.

For the main I have used a Sakura element filter quite a few times. I use Donaldson as a Pre filter and it is 11 micron.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:50 am 

mydmax wrote:
4jj1
If Donaldson has a direct replacement for the OE filter it will not be of larger size than the OE one. Donaldson is in the filter business and make filters as good as if not better.
Donaldson know the micron size of OE filters and make theirs to the same performance at least.

Mate, that is not entirely true as I have also seen Donaldson OE fuel filter replacements that are of a higher micron rating than factory, you have to be careful. It seems that car manufacturers and filter manufacturers cannot get their heads around the filter requirements for a CRD which would be at least 5 micron or better, I see it all the time, in fact my current car's factory filter is rated at 10 micron! which is a joke and got the ass immediately, luckily for me an aftermarket man. makes a 4 micron for my car which btw is not Donaldson who make a 10 micron replacement only..and this from a filter company who should know better, and yes I know they have to stick to OEM but this other very well known mob didn't feel the need?, some of the fault lies with the stupid manufacturers but the filter companies should not have to comply with that. In the meantime very expensive injection systems will just die...

4jj1, the factory filter is rumoured to be a 5 micron so best to stick with that.

Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:11 pm 

nothing is simple thats for sure.
i phoned isuzu they want over $60 for a genuine made in thailand fuel filter and over $30 for the cheaper best value part "BVP" still genuine but made in indonesia by sakura most probably since they are based there. i can get the sakura for a bit over $10 at sms diesel. the interesting thing is they wont sell you the BVP cheaper genuine if your still under warranty,does that mean that isuzu dont know the micron rating either? im going to email sakura and ask direct. will post the result .

still thinking about either a dual parallel donaldson 11 micron prefilter and probably a genuine or verified 5 micron factory filter as mydmax runs and deal with the priming issues from the vacuum`pump or alternatively using a cheapo factory fuel filter preferably 10 micron like the donaldson or sakura once i know its rating and running a 3micron goal keeper donaldson filter after the factory one. the second option could be cheaper to service only replacing the cheap non genuine factory filter every 10k and it deals with the priming issue as i can use the factory hand primer to bleed the second filter. any thoughts based on first hand experience?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:03 pm 

4jj1
Most filters don't show the micron size, you have to search it out I suppose.
Donaldson state their filters, "meet or exceed the OE manufacturers filter specs". To me that means the ones they suppy for a Dmax fuel filter is at least 5 micron performance. Isuzu stated to me their fuel filters are 5 micron.

You would only fit two filters in parallel, IF, there was a flow rate problem. With an 11 pre filter there isn't a flow rate problem. I presume you do mean two filters in parallel, ie, half the flow to pass through each one, that is parallel.

There are hundreds/thousands of Isuzu and Colorados running around, not using genuine, and many have to be using Sakura main filters or Donaldson or other makes too. If they were more than the 5 micron size there would be a lot of systems failing, vehicles stopped along the roadside etc. They aren't failing like flies hit with a Mortein blast. Therefore the micron size must be acceptable. Yes finer is good if ample flow rate is also provided.

With a pre filter of 11 there is not much need to replace the main filter very often, depending on fuel of course, but I don't change them at 10k, wait until you use the vehicle for a while and see if/when it become a restriction problem and adjust interval accordingly if it happens. I always run both for at least 30,000km A slightly restricted/contaminated filter may clean better than a new one.

If you use an airbed pump or some, positive but small pressure device, to pressurize the tank at filler neck, then the resulting fuel flow will bleed all filters even without a pump. I would prefer to push through, rather than have to pump a small device to draw it through.

My early Dmax has an intank pump and with a switch and cable to the relay pins it can be switched on and off as required when bleeding filters.