NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:10 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

Post subject: Re: AFN bullbars
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:24 pm 

Few photos the dealer sent me.
Ordered one today. A week to get on down to Sydney.
Just in time for the new ute to arrive.

Attachments:
D-Max Dimensions Front.jpg
D-Max Dimensions Front.jpg [ 160.05 KiB | Viewed 3650 times ]
D-Max Dimensions Side.jpg
D-Max Dimensions Side.jpg [ 159.39 KiB | Viewed 3650 times ]
DMAX AFN colour coded.jpg
DMAX AFN colour coded.jpg [ 294.83 KiB | Viewed 3650 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:19 am 

That bar would look awesome loopless

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:20 am 

On wolf 4x4 thread they had them, or maybe just a single hoop. Stainless more than likely.
Most of them are bolted on, so you could make one easily.
They do have a loopless version for the VW on their facebook page.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:25 am 

freezy11 wrote:
On wolf 4x4 thread they had them, or maybe just a single hoop. Stainless more than likely.
Most of them are bolted on, so you could make one easily.
They do have a loopless version for the VW on their facebook page.

We do have a loopless version for the D-Max. They're even in stock :)

Web: http://www.wolf4x4.com.au
FB: http://www.facebook.com/wolf4x4

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:11 pm 

Quote:
We do have a loopless version for the D-Max. They're even in stock :)

Any word on the single loop, or should I say pics of the single loop? Is it still expected in September?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:52 pm 

Fyrlyt's do fit. The mounting point on the bar is a bit weird, not a flat enough area to mount a light to.
Few bits of flat bar steel should solve that.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:44 pm 

Just fitted the bullbar up :| tip: pay someone to do it or its a full weekend job. If you mount a winch on it.
The bar design and mounts are better than my previous TJM bar. There is plenty of room for flex if you did hit something.
No to concerned about the 20mm gap from the rubber to the headlights.

Ended up welding some 50x5 flat bar 50mm long to where the lights mount to, for a big flat area to mount my lights.
Had to modify my bash plates for the bullbar to fit, but got rid of the bent parts of my aftermarket bash plates so that was okay.

The winch mounting has to be the worst part of this bar. My TJM winch had the controller and remote receiver mounted on the top of the motor of the winch.
Didn't fit into the bar so I mounted it on the grill bracket that comes with the bar, couldn't fit it anywhere else. Was a bit painful
You can not get the winch bolt into the bar without modifying it, I had to drill 32mm holes so I could get a socket and bolt in it.
Lucky I have a magnetic drill I use for structural steel work so wasn't that hard. All that has be done is move 2 of the 5 large holes under the bar and it would be easy as.

Getting to some of the bolts to mount the bar is painful as well, If you don't have a set of ratchet ring spanners, have fun that's all i'm going to say.
Install a lift kit is a walk in the park compared to this.
Haven't put the grill back in the bar yet, as I have a SX and I am painting it black.
Not regretting buying the bar, but a few simple improvements could make the installation much easier, installation instructions one of these.

I would give the bar and its design 8/10 few bit of powder coating where missed. Few bits on the bar could do with improvements. But the rated recovery points make it the best bar on the market. Powder coating the chassis brackets would be a good idea.
Installation would be a 5/10. Was pretty painful, install a lift kit or snorkel is easy compared to this bar. I was pretty shocked that I would have to modify a $2k bar just to mount a winch in it.

Tips for installation Other than paying someone to do it.
Remove the headlights to do the wiring for the fog lights and indicators, winch wire etc.
Put the headlights back in before you install the bar. You won't get the lights in or out with the bar on.
Figure out where you are going to mount your winch control box before installing the bar.
Put the bull bar lower wings on before you install the bar.
Take the bar to a metal fab shop and get the holes drilled so you can install the winch bolts.
Have the thread of the bolt facing the sides of the car, so you can insert the bolt into the lower wing and get the nut on.
Get yourself a bottle of your favorite spirt of a case of beer. You will need a drink after ....
Can of satin black spray paint wouldn't hurt either.
You will have lots of random bolts and washers left over.

Attachments:
20160826_085718.jpg
20160826_085718.jpg [ 143.25 KiB | Viewed 3419 times ]
20160826_085731.jpg
20160826_085731.jpg [ 199.41 KiB | Viewed 3419 times ]
20160826_114537.jpg
20160826_114537.jpg [ 241.43 KiB | Viewed 3419 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:36 pm 

Ordered my AFN bull bar today! Have a couple of questions for guys already with them. Has anyone hit anything with one yet eg a roo did it hold up alright? I will be mounting a winch on mine and as ive read there is no place to mount the control box, my winch requires a plug in lead will it be easier just to mount the control box under the bonnet instead of trying to plug a lead in behind the bull bar or grill? and lastly does anyone have some photos of their spot lights mounted on? ive noticed 9 inch spotties dont look the best mounted as they hang out the top a fair way, im thinking of getting some Hella Rallye 4000 compacts which should hopefully fit a bit better.
any info or pics would be really helpful.

cheers fellas

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:11 pm 

Mounting the box in the engine bay might be a better idea. Not sure how much cable you have to play with.
Or if there is a disadvantage of having the control box wiring going further, ie voltage drop.

Will get a photo of the my lights sitting on the bar tomorrow for you.
Have noticed a few 9 inch lights that stick up beyond the top bar. Think it depends on the mounting hardware.
The top bar is quiet low compared to other bars. You could nearly get a light bar on top of the bar and it could be lower than the bonnet.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:10 pm 

Thanks that would be great! i ended up ordering a pair of Hella rallye 4000 compacts and HID kit to suit (got a bit excited after ordering bull bar, you cant have a bull bar with no spot lights is what i told the mrs) , i previously had these on my triton and they were brilliant!
yeah going to have to sort something out with the winch, it does look a lot tidier having the box hidden compared to sitting in the middle of the bar IMO
Anyway it will be interesting to see the bar in the flesh as with anything im sure photos do it no justice!
I will make sure I post up a few photos of my d max before and after the bar is fitted as i havent posted a picture to the site yet