NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:57 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:55 pm 

All
Just knocked off work and got to the truck to see the rear canopy window blown to smithereens. No signs of 3rd party impact, most of the glass and rubber seals were on the ground, not in the tub, and I park at least 100m away from anyone else these days as I have enough dents and scratches from others. :evil:

The canopy has been on for about 4 years and 65,000km, it's done a few Kimberley trips and half a lap of Oz. It was pretty hot today in Darwin followed by heavy showers so maybe it had been through 1 too many changes in temperature.

I've seen this issue elsewhere on here but it was on someone's build thread. Anyway, if you are lucky enough to have this happen to you, a replacement window in Darwin is $330, $110 fitting. Keep your locks, struts and brake light (which is double sided taped on) if possible from your broken window as they don't come included. Apparently it happens regularly, they must sell to many replacements to warrant redesigning it.

Does anyone know if this happen with other brands? I can understand if towing but this was parked on this occasion.

2012 LS-T, Mineral Grey. ARB Canopy, Traderack, Bullbar, Airtech Snorkel, XDC winch, Xray Vision driving lights, TX3345 GME radio, Dual Battery via Redarc VSR, OME 300kg Constant load suspension, factory towbar, Dueler 697 LT tyres, now 70,000km

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:14 pm 

Dropbear74 wrote:
All
Just knocked off work and got to the truck to see the rear canopy window blown to smithereens. No signs of 3rd party impact, most of the glass and rubber seals were on the ground, not in the tub, and I park at least 100m away from anyone else these days as I have enough dents and scratches from others. :evil:

The canopy has been on for about 4 years and 65,000km, it's done a few Kimberley trips and half a lap of Oz. It was pretty hot today in Darwin followed by heavy showers so maybe it had been through 1 too many changes in temperature.

I've seen this issue elsewhere on here but it was on someone's build thread. Anyway, if you are lucky enough to have this happen to you, a replacement window in Darwin is $330, $110 fitting. Keep your locks, struts and brake light (which is double sided taped on) if possible from your broken window as they don't come included. Apparently it happens regularly, they must sell to many replacements to warrant redesigning it.

Does anyone know if this happen with other brands? I can understand if towing but this was parked on this occasion.

Just before Xmas the rear windscreen on my nugget car was shattered..A $500 Rock from the mower man!...Any chance it was a stone?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:28 pm 

Turkey2 wrote:
Dropbear74 wrote:
All

Just before Xmas the rear windscreen on my nugget car was shattered..A $500 Rock from the mower man!...Any chance it was a stone?

Hi mate. I don't reckon. It was parked in a commercial car park at the airport in a far corner with no passing traffic. Bit hard to explain but with all the kerbing and speed humps you're lucky to get more than walking pace.

2012 LS-T, Mineral Grey. ARB Canopy, Traderack, Bullbar, Airtech Snorkel, XDC winch, Xray Vision driving lights, TX3345 GME radio, Dual Battery via Redarc VSR, OME 300kg Constant load suspension, factory towbar, Dueler 697 LT tyres, now 70,000km

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:17 pm 

Hi DB, sorry to hear about your window.
( not saying this happened to you)
Had one break on the son in laws canopy, we did the Reynolds track together, it was many years old and had done all the tracks.
What broke his was going over corrugations, the twisting of the canopy, just exploded.
I was in the ute at the time.

Anyway he didn't know if he wanted to keep the canopy, so I just bought him 4mm perspex, and we cut to size.
( clear or shaded). Had to strengthen it.
Fitted into the hinges, attacked the backing light and locks.
Still has this on the canopy after 2 years.
Does your ins. cover yours?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:46 pm 

Last year, I was chatting to this bloke with a factory EGR canopy (exactly the same as mine).

He told the exact same story as yours DB.... he came out to his driveway in the morning and the rear window was blown out and smashed to smithereens.... no reason why,

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:33 am 

Thanks Scamper and Aussie. Yeah my insurance excess is $500, so by the time I buy 2 new locks ($20 each, as my others are buggered) it will bring me up to $490 :roll: . With the ARB canopy going through 8 locks now and a rear window blowing out I think Id go elsewhere for a canopy next time.

It's not a major issue, just inconvenient, and now we have a tropical low over Darwin so 3 days of heavy rain and no window is unwelcoming. I've had a look online last night and it seems common, with plenty of blokes doing the Perspex fix.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:52 am 

Son in law had the same happen to his, he also had problems sealing it and making it watertight hence my choice to go for the SMM Steel Canopy.

2014 LST Ash Beige. SMM Steel canopy, Outback Drawers, dual battery with 2 x 160W solar panels (keeps the beers nice and cold), 135L tank, TJM T15 alloy bar with Xray-vision LED lights, Dumbo Clearview Mirrors. The ultimate tow truck.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:30 pm 

I did one last year DB my fault, reversed into my shed to far with the window open and forgot I had one of those long chainsaws hanging up in the shed. Bloody hell what a bang, the other problem I had the draws open. So not only was the shed full of glass so where the draws. Was covered by insurance under windscreens, check that out mate.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:19 pm 

Thanks Bruce. Will check it out. Who is your insurance mob? Pm if you would prefer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:21 am 

Following up Isuzumu's suggestion, I contacted AAMI insurance and a canopy rear window is covered under their Windscreen policy, so no excess payable and will be fixed on Friday. It is being done by Windscreens O'Brien after sourcing the parts from ARB. They didn't seem to know that struts, brake lights and locks were involved so will see how it goes. Worst case scenario I will just take the glass panel home and do it myself.