NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:51 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

Post subject: Pls HELP D-MAX E-Harrop
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:48 pm 

Hi guys I have purchased F/R E Harrop for my 2015 D-Max. The reason is I have a lot more weight due to everything I have put on it, I also tow a camper with a total CGVM of 4930Kg,Hence the need to change the Diff ratio.
Q; So I need to change the diff ratio front and rear too 4:1. I can't seem to find were to buy new Crown wheel and pinions with a crush sleeve I want to replace with a solid tube.
I can get Second Hand Diffs from the Wrecker from a 2011 D-Max auto unsure if they would fit on the New E-Harrop. I don't want to spend the money to find it want fit..Has any one fitted 4.1 if so how did you get around it.
Cheers
Dave

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:40 am 

First of all why do you feel you need to change the diff ratio at a relatively light 4.9T GCM? There are thousands of these cars on the road towing well in excess of that with no dramas....? your speedo and odometer will be affected also with no easy way to correct and I guarantee no one on here has done it.

The eLocker will turn the diff from a 2 pinion to a 4 pinion diff and made out of better materials and offer the increase in strength that goes with that however again would only be required for extra traction when needed, no need for it otherwise. If you want to know if it will fit the earlier diffs then see if Harrop make one for those and check the part number, failing that ring Harrop direct and ask.

Could you put your location in your profile for us please mate.

Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:46 pm 

My15-Max
I am a bit puzzled with what you have asked.
When you say, " unsure if they would fit on the New E-Harrop", isn't what you need to know is, if the diff housings are the same so they fit into your axle housings?
The Harrop fits inside the diff carrier so what fits what is important. Harrop should know what fits because they sell them to fit.

I haven't checked but presume the Dmax uses the same diff ratios in both auto and manual.

What is the advantage of fitting a solid sleeve to a diff which gives no trouble. It will require far more fiddly setting up to ensure correct bearing preloads than when using a crush tube diff.

I agree with Danno, the changing of ratios is probably not required unless you have over tyred the thing and with the load it won't/can't pull.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:22 pm 

The current DMax uses the same diff ratio for man or auto however the previous model uses 3.72 for the man (same as current) but 4.1 for the auto.

Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:03 am 

Hi guys thank you for your help.Sorry for the late response. Thus far the diff housings are different. I want to change the ratio because we will be towing a 1800 kg camper through the bush,the lower 4:10 I think it would help with a lower ration will also help with crawling and reduce some wheel spin, It also should help with the fuel economy. I have 33'' tyres and the economy is crap. I would like to get front and rear new crown and pinion.
Harrop can't help me,maybe they don't want the headache. If any one can help with info it would be appreciated

Cheers
Dave

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:32 am 

Isn't that why you have HI and LO range ?

I am towing 2500kg on the back stuff and have never felt that the D-Max is under powered unless you have a manual box :?

2014 LST Ash Beige. SMM Steel canopy, Outback Drawers, dual battery with 2 x 160W solar panels (keeps the beers nice and cold), 135L tank, TJM T15 alloy bar with Xray-vision LED lights, Dumbo Clearview Mirrors. The ultimate tow truck.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:11 am 

For a start you have more than doubled the maximum allowable tyre size increase, that reduces braking efficiency.
I notice you mention having 4.1 gearing and the thought that it would limit wheel spin. Well it won't, because with more torque being applied to the wheels via the axles, you will have more wheel spin tendency, not less. Reverse situation with less braking efficiency, there will be less tractive effort applied to the ground with a much larger tyre when braking.

Why not use std sized tyres, or perhaps a bit larger, not too much bigger in dia %age and use tyres which have a pattern to suit your terrain. Then fuel economy will be as good as you will get with the load and legal too. The biggest benefit is not having to spend the price of a 2 1/2 sets of tyres just to be able to go there. You have to buy tyres anyway.
Ditch the 33's unless you are in love with the look.
I can't see the hassle of replacing diff gearing as a good option.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:21 pm 

I'd like to do this myself when the mods start in a few months. I'm ninety percent sure a ring and pinion from a Colorado RC is what you want or order new gears from the US since you probably looking at five hundred to buy a complete diff from the wrecker. Pluses are some speedo correction and better torque when you start rolling, minus is the cost which is minimal if your adding dual lockers. Have a look at this thread on 4wdEarth it might help some. http://4x4earth.com/forum/index.php?thr ... ers.25655/
Regards Charles

Charles 1960 formally Charles1960

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:50 pm 

Why a set of gears from a Colorado RC when they are the same as a Dmax up to 2012.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:37 pm 

Sorry but I don't know much about the older Dmax whilst the Colorado comes in a few higher ratios than the 2012 + Dmax.