NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:07 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:29 am 

AFN Bullbar Fitting for a 2012-2017 (Pre Facelift) D-Max.

I personally love the look of these bars, the fact they don't stick out far and the fact they are a full bumper replacement.
Keep in mind if you want one though, that there may be a long wait time due to the fact they come from Portugal (I waited 7 months).

But the included instructions and the lack of installation information i could find on the net was pretty frustrating. So i decided to take a heap of photos and hopefully some other people can use this as a better guide.

Fitting Time:
-Wolf 4x4 reckons they have fitting time down to 2.5-3hrs for these bars. I got my bar through those blokes and they were pretty helpful with a heap of little tips for installing.
-They reckon it will take about 6hrs to fit this bar yourself
-I took 8hrs to fit this (including a full degrease and clean of the front end when i took the bumper off and dinner/1 million beers, so 6hrs work is pretty spot on)

Tools
Nothing special
-(1/4)(3/8) Socket Set
-A Set of metric ratchet spanners
-A set of metric ring open ender spanners
-Several Flat Blade/Phillips head screw drivers
-A set of TORX and Metric Allen keys (I cant remember if i used these)
-Wire Stripper, heat shrink and Crimp terminals. You'll need to hard wire in the Indicators and make plugs for the Fog lights.
-(I might have used some other tools, but nothing stands out as a speciality tool)

Heres what you get:

Removing The bumper and grill
Take the bumper and grill off, its mostly attached with little plastic push clips and the odd screw. Also youll need to remove the white bumper "holders' under the headlights. you'll see this when you take the bumper off. if you dont take these off the AFN bar cant fit.

Make sure you unplug the fog lights

Then it will look like this (note the while plastic bits under the headlights, yet to be removed)

After this the two metal cross bars (running horizontal on the front of the car with the holes in them) have to come off.
At this stage i degreased and washed the front. I re-lanolined the front end after the bar was fitted.

Putting the bar on
While the Bar is still on the ground i highly reccomend you install the 'wings'. They are in a bastard of a spot to get to once the bar is on.

Loosely install all the brackets (there are millions). As per the instructions. You may think that they haven't given you enough bolts, but because they arent using crush tubes only one bolt per side goes 'through' the chassis rail. all the others feed in the rail and just out one side (this is frustrating and requires beers)

That will complete the brackets, double/triple check that you haven't forgotten anything because once the bar is on its a pain to reach them.

I used a couple of ratchet straps from the roof to get the bar on and was able to line it up and get the bolts started just by myself. From there it took 5-10mins of adjusting to make sure I had the 15-20mm required gap from the body to bar the whole way around (this takes into account body flex and movement)

This is the best i could get and still have even on both sides, once the supplied pinch weld is fitted its actually (suprisingly) not that noticeable

Random Bits
From there all the main stuff is done, But this next part took the bulk of the time trying to do correctly.
For starters the supplied grill support has no hole or mount for this factory sensor. So its a case of find a nice way to cable tie it.

The additional indicators that come with the bar will need to be hard wired in, I did this before putting the bar on so i had room to cut/splice/solder and waterproof.

Despite what you may here the fog lights that come with the bar WILL NOT just plug into the old wiring. The OEM lights use an Isuzu plug, where as the AFN lights use a H8/H11 Plug. You can buy female plugs with a tail from Autobarn/Repco etc for approx $13each. But keep that in mind. But now its down they work off the factory switch which is good.

Now that the bar is fitted and wired up the last step is to trim the excess guard plastic insided the wheel arch. I trimed it using a dremel then used a factory hole in the front of the guard to bolt it firmly down so there would be no flapping on the highway.

Finished Product

Hopefully This will help anyone else who wants to have a crack at fitting the bar themselves and fill in the gaps left by the woefully inadequate instructions, its not overly hard just a bit time consuming. especially if you stuff the order of the steps. If you've got any questions just ask away and ill try and help.

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:12 pm 

Great report. Thanks for taking the time to share.

Tink

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:19 pm 

Great write up & good result. They are a good looking bar.