NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:27 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Online Tech company
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:29 am 

SATA 3 drive apparently. I don't really give a stuff if it all goes wrong. My most important thing as far as I am concerned are all my shortcuts. That's really all I care about. I have put assorted ones in different folders and have a copy. I reckon I will be OK.

MY15 SX Spacecab,ARB GVM Upgrade,Auto,White,Tinted,Towbar,2.2m O'Brien Alloy Tray,Trundle Draw,ARB Deluxe Steel Bar, Ironman 9500lb Monster Winch,Alloys,Mortels sheepskin seat covers,ARB Sidesteps and Rails,Plenty of Dynamat,Safari Snorkus,AVM HP Hubs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:16 am 

Depending on the browser you are using you should be able to find where your shortcuts are saved and copy them to a safe place on another drive for re-installation once finished.

Google is your friend when it come to backing up your data but it is always the odd things that get forgotten. Here is a thread on where Google Chrome saves its bookmarks - https://superuser.com/questions/376366/ ... on-windows which might help.

If you are replacing the drive with a new SSD you can leave the old drive intact, this will help in recovering anything you might have missed.

Have you backed up your emails, this is a big one. I store my emails on a network drive so a format of the C drive keeps them safe, also means I can run Outlook on both my Desktop or Laptop using the same .pst files (only one or the other).

2014 LST Ash Beige. SMM Steel canopy, Outback Drawers, dual battery with 2 x 160W solar panels (keeps the beers nice and cold), 135L tank, TJM T15 alloy bar with Xray-vision LED lights, Dumbo Clearview Mirrors. The ultimate tow truck.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:47 am 

I don't have anything I need really. I delete my emails pretty much every day and don't really need any saved. I am having trouble getting any decent communication with computer mobs. So far...no ring backs, no one to answer phones, no USB to SATA cables or want $40 for a $10 cable and try to sell me a docking station for $50. I'll keep trying.
I don't use Chrome. backing up is not that important to me and I have my shortcuts saved.

MY15 SX Spacecab,ARB GVM Upgrade,Auto,White,Tinted,Towbar,2.2m O'Brien Alloy Tray,Trundle Draw,ARB Deluxe Steel Bar, Ironman 9500lb Monster Winch,Alloys,Mortels sheepskin seat covers,ARB Sidesteps and Rails,Plenty of Dynamat,Safari Snorkus,AVM HP Hubs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:31 pm 

Silver05 wrote:
So far...no ring backs, no one to answer phones, no USB to SATA cables or want $40 for a $10 cable and try to sell me a docking station for $50.

eBay is your friend. :D Cables for as low as $4.80, and SSD drives, although when I last checked the online retailers were cheaper.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:24 pm 

Tugboat wrote:
Silver05 wrote:
So far...no ring backs, no one to answer phones, no USB to SATA cables or want $40 for a $10 cable and try to sell me a docking station for $50.

eBay is your friend. :D Cables for as low as $4.80, and SSD drives, although when I last checked the online retailers were cheaper.

https://www.banggood.com/ is another site like ebay. I tend to find it cheaper too. But, pays to shop around everytime.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:11 am 

Ended up dealing with a mob called centrecom. Danno put me onto them. Seemed pretty good. Postage was a bit outrageous but at least I could chat with someone. I ended up getting a Transcend 240gb SSD and a docking station. I'm just about to download a cloning programme and the delivery is due tomorrow. I'll clean up everything and then see what happens. It's really only a stop gap measure to see what happens and I will still get a new computer at some stage....maybe after tomorrow!!! :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:51 pm 

Well..all appears OK. Booting up is sure quicker...the rest yes but not too sure yet. I used cloning software from the Transcend website which sure was easy. I managed to get everything apart and back together without anything blowing up.
The only thing diffent is a 'black' page that comes up first...Boot something or other ...mostly in china talk I think. It has a countdown timer on it and you just hit 'enter' and it all gets underway.
i'll see if I can get a better read of what it says.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:15 pm 

Sounds like it might be asking if you want to boot from the original hard drive or the SSD, maybe go into the CMOS and change the settings there to boot from the SSD.

Usually need to tap the F8 key or DELETE or something like that, I just keep hitting the key continuously while it is in the first stage of booting.

2014 LST Ash Beige. SMM Steel canopy, Outback Drawers, dual battery with 2 x 160W solar panels (keeps the beers nice and cold), 135L tank, TJM T15 alloy bar with Xray-vision LED lights, Dumbo Clearview Mirrors. The ultimate tow truck.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:23 pm 

It's the 'Windows Boot Manager' with a timer that counts down 30 secs and then loads up as normal.
It's mainly in Chinese so I can't read it. I only have the SSD not 2 drives. It's a pain. It certainly gets up and running quick once you get past that page. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:54 pm 

mydmax wrote:
If you go to a computer store and buy a Samsung SSD it comes with instructions and the program to ghost all your hard drive to the SSD. Install SSD and start up. Check first if your operating system is compatible and will copy ALL to the SSD. XP would not comply for me.

Thank you very much for this information because I have been looking for a way to buy one for quite some time.