NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:48 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:22 am 

Hi - first time poster here!

As the post title suggests, I'm looking to buy a new ute to hold onto for the long-term (say 10 years). After a bit of research, the Dmax has risen to the top of the list. The new ute would be used as daily driver, bush/beach camping trips, and towing a 2.3t tare (2.8t ATM) caravan - including a 6 month lap around the country.

I'm interested to hear the experiences of existing owners, and also opinions and advice regarding the Dmax as a decent all-rounder. I do like the 2018 model, as they now have trailer sway control, and Isuzu have bumped up the GVM by 100kg (GCM stays the same though). However, this model has a DPF (as most modern diesels do). Have current owners had issues with the Dmax's DPF?

From my research, in comparison to other utes, the Dmax appears to have less reports of issues. I have read about cracking body panels in the wheel arches, but they appear to be a rare/unusual occurrence.

Thanks all. Any thoughts appreciated!
Cheers
Matt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:02 am 

matt211181 wrote:
I have read about cracking body panels in the wheel arches, but they appear to be a rare/unusual occurrence.

LOL...if only they were a rare/unusual occurrence Matt, if only... :roll:

Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:45 am 

D-Max got a facelift (and new front body panels) in 2017. The cracking issues all seem to have affect older examples. It remains to be seen whether it's also an issue for newer models.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:03 pm 

willywonka wrote:
D-Max got a facelift (and new front body panels) in 2017. The cracking issues all seem to have affect older examples. It remains to be seen whether it's also an issue for newer models.

The front body panels are identical only the bonnet was changed to allow for the new grill and it's the inner panels that crack anyway (also identical) and yes the problem is still persisting.

Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:28 am 

Had a read through the thread here about the cracking panels - and yeah it doesn't appear to be as rare as I first understood. That's a shame - I was pretty decided on the DMax. I presume the Colorado has the same problem?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:56 pm 

Danno wrote:
willywonka wrote:

The front body panels are identical only the bonnet was changed to allow for the new grill and it's the inner panels that crack anyway (also identical) and yes the problem is still persisting.

That's a very generalized statement Danno. Could you please tell us how many vehicles you have personally seen with this problem, not "heard about", actually witnessed! I personally know the service managers at two large dealerships, and neither has had one claim for the above................

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:14 am 

Hey mate, have you seen and driven a Colorado? I bought a new spacecab collie a few wks ago and im absolutely loving it so far!! My last car was a Dmax.
Collies have a few things over Dmax now i think. Dmax are great but i think the Collie has it covered personally.
More power
Electric steering
Better looking
Better interior
LS models are great value they are loaded with goodies for an LS.
Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:45 am 

Deano74
The reason the Collie puts out more power is because the smaller engine is stressed quite a bit more than a Dmax engine is, ie more fuel and turbo pressure as the energy inputs.
The electric steering system works ok and many vehicles use that type. However, the electric system can’t provide as much steering force and if held on lock for almost any time the electrics simply heat up and burn out. It is quicker to respond though. Possibly slightly more economical re the electrics.

Hydraulic systems simply make noise and heat the oil when at max pressure of the relief valve. Components can be repaired relatively easily, the electric ones are throw away.

As for bling, it isn’t a factor for some buyers, some like it and expect it, others don’t.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:40 pm 

mydmax wrote:
Deano74
The reason the Collie puts out more power is because the smaller engine is stressed quite a bit more than a Dmax engine is, ie more fuel and turbo pressure as the energy inputs.
The electric steering system works ok and many vehicles use that type. However, the electric system can’t provide as much steering force and if held on lock for almost any time the electrics simply heat up and burn out. It is quicker to respond though. Possibly slightly more economical re the electrics.

Hydraulic systems simply make noise and heat the oil when at max pressure of the relief valve. Components can be repaired relatively easily, the electric ones are throw away.

As for bling, it isn’t a factor for some buyers, some like it and expect it, others don’t.
Not a colorado fan mydmax much? Lol
I have to wonder why after a tune on both the Dmax and colorado, the colorado comes out with a large amount more rwkw than Dmax. 38 kw at the wheels more. So im thinking the Colorado is a way more detuned engine than the Dmax. Some engines just make more power than others due to design obviously. Dont get me wrong i love Dmaxs and near bought one but the Colorado engine seems to punch out power more easily than the Dmax. Fair call on elec steering been a throw away item but what isnt these days lets face it!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:11 pm 

Deano74
It doesn’t really matter whether I am a fan of Colorados or not. Just pointing out differences as I see them. I am not anti anyone having a Collie or a Dmax. GM does present more “features”, it is the way they operate for reasons of sales.
With an ECU remap any setting can be applied. For a 2.8L to make more power than a 3 L the fuel pressure and boost has to be more than the Dmax. A remap on a Collie which seems to have to have more of the above when OE, is increased so it makes even more power. A tune as some call it, is different between engines so unless the same fuel pressure and turbo pressure is applied over the range they can’t really be compared. A remap makes them more responsive and eager because it is increased in those areas. Because your foot has no connection to the engine, the result is a feeling of effortless power, but the engine and fuel system has to be stressed more than when original. Just saying.

Electric steering is nice but like anything it has limitations, advantages and disadvantages, I like it and don’t know it’s off-road limitations. Normal use no problems, stuck in muddy ruts which requires often and sustained force of steering may reveal it’s limits. The steering is essentially a stepper motor sort of power and when stopped or near stopped under full steering boosting, the electrics do get very hot so that situation is to be avoided if likely to happen. Car electric steering specifically warns NOT to hold on full lock, as some people do with hydraulic steering, because the car units let the smoke out fairly soon.
I know things are throw away but the cost to replace the item is my concern.
Everything changes in vehicles as new things are developed and implemented.