NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:31 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:57 pm 

I'm considering a GVM upgrade for our Dmax auto 2013 LSM crew cab.
After seeing the threads here I have a couple of questions:
(1) What is included in a GVM upgrade (ie: shock absorbers, springs ?, etc ) ?
(2) Any recommendations or suggestions as to who could do this in Perth WA ?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:48 pm 

I got a ARB GVM upgrade for my Ute , it's just Springs and Shocks front and rear , greasable rear shackles , it give me a extra 270kg . GVM is now 3220 . ARB was the only one available when I bought my Dmax

Lovells now do a GVM upgrade , I would go with them now .

A GVM upgrade is a good idea , most of us change the suspension anyway , might as well pay a little extra and get the mod plate , you can then overload and break ya Ute in half legally .

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:32 pm 

I rang up Lovells in Melbourne last week and for their 3600 Kg AGM upgrade they wanted $4800, don't think so. :D :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:52 pm 

I had mine upgraded as part of my purchase through Major Motors back in 2014. They used ARB out at Canning Vale at a cost of $2,186.54. Because it was a new vehicle it was a straight forward job as all the engineering was based on a stock, off the production line vehicle.

I would expect that it will cost you a bit more than this as your vehicle is now a few years old and any accessories you have added change the engineering so basically you need to have the engineering done specifically for you vehicle.

This is a description of the parts they had on the original quote -
COIL DMAX/COLORADO 2012 ON
SPORT STRUT DMAX/COLORADO F 2012
ON
------------
SPRING DMAX/COLORADO 2012ON 600KG
SPORT SHOCK NAVARA D40 -ROME
U BOLT WASHER & NUT
GREASABLE SHACKLE HILUX 2005 ON
SPRING BUSH KIT HILUX 2005 ON
FITTING
WHEEL ALIGNMENT CHECK
------------
OME DMAX ADR COMPLIANCE KIT

Hope this helps. :D

rwally wrote:
I'm considering a GVM upgrade for our Dmax auto 2013 LSM crew cab.
After seeing the threads here I have a couple of questions:
(1) What is included in a GVM upgrade (ie: shock absorbers, springs ?, etc ) ?
(2) Any recommendations or suggestions as to who could do this in Perth WA ?

2014 LST Ash Beige. SMM Steel canopy, Outback Drawers, dual battery with 2 x 160W solar panels (keeps the beers nice and cold), 135L tank, TJM T15 alloy bar with Xray-vision LED lights, Dumbo Clearview Mirrors. The ultimate tow truck.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:40 pm 

There is no difference in what needs to be used for GVM upgrade it will be on the appropriate companies approved suspension list. The big difference is when we do a new vehicle it is australia wide blue plate on a used vehicle the blue plate is state specific. So potentially across a state line and tour GVM is not current. Any of the majors offer it. ARB/TJM/LOVELLS ec etc most will have there own staff qualified to blue plate it. They just wack on the plate no difference to any other sus job. Do you need the GVM as have found a lot of people get it just incase, if you dont need it just get the sus you want and save the costs of plate & papertrail needed. Getting new sus myself this weekend. OME. Let us know how you get on.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:58 pm 

Agree Ducks but I still believe that the engineering needs to take into account any additional accessories you have added. As mentioned, my upgrade was done before any other items were fitted so the sums are done on a standard vehicle therefore the cost is shared over and over again compared to a one of for a second hand car.

I also agree that if you don't need it then don't get it done, go the cheaper option of just upgrading the suspension. In my case I had done the sums and I was 20kg over the allowable payload so to keep it legal I had no choice.

It is also nice to know that I can through more gear in the tub if I really need it.

2014 LST Ash Beige. SMM Steel canopy, Outback Drawers, dual battery with 2 x 160W solar panels (keeps the beers nice and cold), 135L tank, TJM T15 alloy bar with Xray-vision LED lights, Dumbo Clearview Mirrors. The ultimate tow truck.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:23 pm 

Duck wrote:
The big difference is when we do a new vehicle it is Australia wide blue plate on a used vehicle the blue plate is state specific. So potentially across a state line and your GVM is not current.

Your GVM upgrade will stay current anywhere in Australia as long as it's still registered in the state that issued the plate, in our case we changed states and lost the upgrade but at that point I couldn't have cared less anyway, it had served it's purpose.

Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:55 pm 

Bob wrote:
the engineering needs to take into account any additional accessories you have added

I'd be pretty certain that ARB and Lovell's don't do any specific engineering for an individual vehicle, regardless of what accessories you have. They have already done the work for GVM upgrades on the make and model to get ADR compliance already. See:
http://rvcs-prodweb.dot.gov.au/perl/479 ... 143046.cmd
and
http://rvcs-prodweb.dot.gov.au/perl/448 ... 083053.cmd

A GVM upgrade is just bigger springs and shocks, a compliance plate and a couple of stickers. No 'special' engineering. If you look at the specs in those documents the ride height has also increased by 50 mm. Most 2" lifts have the same weight carrying capacity. Lovell's upgrade is nearly 300 kg more than ARB's! I wonder what the ride height is at that load? I wouldn't be surprised if ARB will sell you the exact same suspension without the plate and stickers as a lift. As Jackofjr says, a GVM upgrade is about the plate to make it all legal.

Lovell's has a good list of the inclusions on their website - https://www.lovellsauto.com.au/product12j.php

Bob wrote:
I had done the sums and I was 20kg over the allowable payload.

Calculated or weighed? Before or after lunch? Seriously, a tank of fuel is about 60 kg. Do you carry water?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:01 am 

After all the barwork, canopy, tank, roof racks etc. were fitted to my vehicle which was nothing over the top and what you would expect to fit to a vehicle travelling around Oz and WITHOUT any of our camping gear, clothes, food etc. the car was weighed and it was 2900kg...50 kg under GVM and with only me in it!. A GVM upgrade is a worthwile investment.

Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:34 am 

These calculations were done before I had even signed for the new car so a bit hard to weigh it. :D
Also as I was fitting a long range tank it was a wee bit more than 60kg. :?
ch2 wrote:
Bob wrote:
I had done the sums and I was 20kg over the allowable payload.

Calculated or weighed? Before or after lunch? Seriously, a tank of fuel is about 60 kg. Do you carry water?