NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:51 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

Post subject: Grinding noise
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 8:20 pm 

Hi team. Hoping to pick some brains...

My '13 D-Max has started making a strange grinding/groaning type noise when cold. It's really hard to nail down when it happens, but I think it's usually on deceleration. It could be happening in higher gears, but I've only heard it when in first or second.

I don't think it's speed relative, and I'm not sure if it's RPM relative. My gut tells me it isn't gearbox/clutch related as it sounds more turbo or bearing-esque.

I know it obviously could be ANYTHING, but thought I'd post on the off chance it rang any bells for anyone, and before I get a chance to take it to the dealer.  Forgive the new thread - had a search but couldn't find the answers I was looking for.

Thanks in advance,

Jimmy

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Grinding noise
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 8:49 pm 

Pop it in low range on some dirt (if you don't have freewheeling hubs) and put it in 2nd and drive along between 2 and 2500 rpm and listen intently for the noise probably with the windows down but try up as well, keep your hand on the gear stick and see if you can sort of "feel" the noise as it's happening. The only reason it needs to be in low range is to get the revs up that high without much road speed which will drown out the sound. Let us know how you go.

Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:37 am 

Jimmers
Probably not this, but have you recently had it serviced and the steering fluid replaced?
If incorrect fluid it will mean the pump flow can't get around as quickly with thicker oil in there and develop higher pressure causing the relief valve to open and make a squeal/groan noise until the oil warms and thins a bit. Happens when cold.

If you turn the steering to full lock and "make" the pressure, full relief pressure, does it make the same noise? Only do it momentarily. Don't do that for long, as it makes the system work at maximum while held on full lock.

Check the fluid in the reservoir, it could be old and different viscosity to what is required. Most service places do not change it much at all and even then only just reservoir contents and not a full flush out and replacement of fluid.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:35 am 

Legends, thanks for the replies. I will attempt both suggestions in the coming days and will report back. Thanks again, guys

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:36 am 

mydmax wrote:
Jimmers
Probably not this, but have you recently had it serviced and the steering fluid replaced?
If incorrect fluid it will mean the pump flow can't get around as quickly with thicker oil in there and develop higher pressure causing the relief valve to open and make a squeal/groan noise until the oil warms and thins a bit. Happens when cold.

If you turn the steering to full lock and "make" the pressure, full relief pressure, does it make the same noise? Only do it momentarily. Don't do that for long, as it makes the system work at maximum while held on full lock.

Check the fluid in the reservoir, it could be old and different viscosity to what is required. Most service places do not change it much at all and even then only just reservoir contents and not a full flush out and replacement of fluid.
And mydmax - negative re the PS service.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:03 pm 

Thanks again for the feedback, guys. Believe it or not - I can't replicate the noise! I've been trying and know it's still there, but haven't been able to induce it. Frustrating. Will report back...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:59 pm 

Like pulling into the dentist & the toothache dissapears !

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:44 am 

Hi legends.

Since my original post, I have been trying in vain to find the source of the noise. I have replicated it many times but all in difference circumstances. Usually decelerating (but sometimes accelerating), sometimes mild turning, sometimes when driving straight. Usually when cold, sometimes when full warm. Not sure it's low-speed specific or that's the only time I can hear it.

After about half an hour trying to induce the noise, I managed to finally (faintly) record the sound, see attached. Unfortunately the crunching sound in the recording is not it - I fumbled the phone. But the strange noise IMMEDIATELY AFTER it is 'the' noise. You will need your computer volume up.

I know I will have to see the dealer, no problem with that but would was hoping for a rough idea before going in there and being given the runaround.

Cheers to all who have replied.

Jimmy

Attachments:
Memo 004-1.zip [120.71 KiB]
Downloaded 18 times

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:25 am 

I can sort of hear it because I've probably heard it a million times from my own car, it's the 5th gear synchro and it's harmless but annoying, Isuzu know about it and have an updated part and will fit it under warranty but it doesn't always work....read this viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1762&hilit=dreaded and this viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1957 unfortunately the Youtube videos have been removed.

Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:23 am 

Danno wrote:
I can sort of hear it because I've probably heard it a million times from my own car, it's the 5th gear synchro and it's harmless but annoying, Isuzu know about it and have an updated part and will fit it under warranty but it doesn't always work....read this viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1762&hilit=dreaded and this viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1957 unfortunately the Youtube videos have been removed.
Danno, you legend. I've actually read those two threads before but not connected the dots that it may be my problem. Will take it to the dealer ASAP and get then to sort it.

Thanks again, mate