NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:51 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

Post subject: 17 x 9s on LS Colorado
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:34 pm 

Hi ive bought a new LS Spacecab colorado. Done my head in looking at so many wheels but settled for a 17x 9 20 offset. Im putting 265/70/17 tyres on them. Tyreshop says they will be legal and should all fit well? My current dmax has 16 x8s so im hoping there is enough bag in the tyres with the wider 9 inch rim? They dont do an 8 inch rim in these.
Something i thought would be so easy ended up looking at 100s of wheels and still not sure ive made the right decision!
Cheers

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:00 pm 

No way will they have enough bag in those, not a chance, you'll have hardly any rim protection from the tyres at all off road, at minimum you'd have to go 285 wide but I suppose it comes down to what you're going to use it for, it'll look good I suppose just not that functional. Standard rim is only 7" wide is it not? I'd look into the legalities of that in your state as well.

Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 7:08 am 

deano74
With a 9" rim as against a 7" rim, the inner edge of the 9" rim is around 13mm further inward and so is the tyre bead and associated bag of wall. Is there enough room to suspension etc
The outer edge of the rim is 33mm further out and so is the tyre. The tread edge will be far closer to inner guards at both front and rear while on lock. Using a larger tyre as well, ie 265 means the forward and aft distance/clearance which the OE tyre had by design, is going to be hugely reduced by the wider rim AND the bigger tyre.
It is nice to have the tyre seller say it is legal and should fit, You really want to know if it is "truly legal" and it "does really fit" under all suspension and steering movement. Have they checked it thoroughly so there is proper clearance everywhere it matters? Have them put that in writing for you.

Effectively the tyre tread centre will be 12mm or so further out from the steering centre, ie, steering axis between ball joints.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:28 am 

mydmax wrote:
deano74
With a 9" rim as against a 7" rim, the inner edge of the 9" rim is around 13mm further inward and so is the tyre bead and associated bag of wall. Is there enough room to suspension etc
The outer edge of the rim is 33mm further out and so is the tyre. The tread edge will be far closer to inner guards at both front and rear while on lock. Using a larger tyre as well, ie 265 means the forward and aft distance/clearance which the OE tyre had by design, is going to be hugely reduced by the wider rim AND the bigger tyre.
It is nice to have the tyre seller say it is legal and should fit, You really want to know if it is "truly legal" and it "does really fit" under all suspension and steering movement. Have they checked it thoroughly so there is proper clearance everywhere it matters? Have them put that in writing for you.

Effectively the tyre tread centre will be 12mm or so further out from the steering centre, ie, steering axis between ball joints.

Hi this is the way i see it. A 265/70/17 fits no worries without a lift etc. The only difference is that the rim is 12.5mm wider on each side pulling the tyre beads out. The tyre is in the same position it isnt any wider. Correct me if im wrong im all ears. Thanks for replies.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:36 am 

Deano74
Not sure what you are seeing it as, but the rime centre with +20 is 12mm at least further outward than the original rim/ Same for any width +20 rim width.
Given the 9" rim is a full 2 " wider and although the rim centre is now 12mm different, combined with the additional width of rim remaining inside the hub face it means the rim inside edge is still 15mm or so closer to the suspension than the original. .
I don't think tyre people picture that situation very well.
As you steer the wheel rotates forward and rearward and so the additional tyre size combined with a much wider rim 50mm wider will mean the tyre will and wheel movement

Have a look with a std 7" rim and picture the rim edge being 32mm or 1 7/16" further out than before.
When on full lock see how close the tyre is to body parts and then judge the loss of distance with the bigger tyre and wider rim position.
If you don't do that then you are purely trusting others who say you can.
The tyre seller is wanting to sell items and so may have a biased opinion of what can and cannot be done safely.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 3:40 pm 

Hi Deano74
I have a DMAX LSU Standard rims are 17x7 Standard tyre 255/65r17. 265x65r17 are not recommended but 265x70r17 are. That is by the Tyre and Rim Association of AU. I like the look of the standard mag and even bought a spare. So that is the size I will go for is the originals ever wear out so far 35k and still plenty of tread but I need AT'S

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:01 pm 

Picked the car up today. Got the wheels/tyres fitted. All good tyres are still inside the gaurd and theres clearance only thing is it scrapes the mudflap slightly at full lock. Nothing a shave wont fix or pull it back a bit. I was nervous how it would go but had a great outcome!!

Last edited by Deano74 on Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:36 pm 

That has worked out well for you, just what you wanted.
Watch the mudflap area because when the wheel hits some resistance on lock, the wheel will move backwards more with the flex in the suspension bushes. Might scrape a bit more heavily then.
Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:58 pm 

Good job have you got some piccies of the wheels on ?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:25 pm 

Duck wrote:
Good job have you got some piccies of the wheels on ?

Tried to put some on mate but failed unsure how to resize original pics :/