NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:12 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:43 am 

Are there still issues with Bullbar weights causing cracks at the front on Dmax?

Have read that the front of Dmax doesn't take to well to bullbars.

I too am looking at dmax as my next ute.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:40 am 

Bullbars dont hang off the inner gaurd.

Its just a rubhish excuse

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:33 pm 

Winton
Who said it was bull bars as the cause? Just because Bars and mods have been apportioned blame doesn't mean it is true or corect. Of those which have cracked, a number have no bull bar at all, ever, and not used in rough terrain either. Some have had suspension uprgrades and some have not and been standard with no mods at all.

Got to sort out the wheat from the chaff a bit.

I think it has to more to do with imparted chassis twist and/or body to chassis mounts which hold the body stressed instead of being neutrally held and located together. Maybe the panels which crack haven't bee designed with sufficient inherrent flex or ssome are sub standard metal. Other makes of vehicle also suffer cracks too. Isuzu is not the only ones.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:05 pm 

Hey guys thanks for the reply.

What I read didn't specifically point out that the bull bar was the cause of the cracks in the inner guard. Just that it mentioned the front end of the chassis doesn't cope well with Bull bars. See below.

https://gdlauto.com.au/isuzu-d-max-review/

So is it a consensus that Bull Bars on a dmax is a non issue in all respects?

Just that the cracks in the inner guard is not related since it can happen to cars without bullbars?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:13 pm 

Winston
I wonder what prompted GDL to write a report, money perhaps?

DPF does a burn at 500km with it being distance based. If run hot it may not need to very often. The system is designed to burn it clean again. Does the DPF/DPD as Isuzu call it, really block up? Or is the author making a blanket statement?

The Dmax is not any more susceptible to EGR soot and malfunction than others. We won't mention Toyota 'cos they do it far more often. Use decent oil quality and both problems are lessened. Dealers and the authors company probably don't use a high quality oil which lessens blowby gas quantity and therefore oil mist in the first place.

Blanking an EGR will make it develop a fault code. Has to, but a restrictor plate reduces the flow and lessens the heat getting to the EGR valve too so it doesn't tend to get fried or glue up.

Most utes have small section chassis members at the front and a lot of makes have trouble, not only Isuzu Dmax. There are far more vehicles with bullbars and no chassis problems or cracked inner guard running around than the relative small number which have developed a problem. How do they know the bullbar caused the chassis cracks? What sort of cracks were they? It may have been the way it was operated. I do agree that makers of bullbars have little thought for any chassis and having one of your biggest mates bolted 300mm or more out the front does add load where load wasn't really designed to be. It is just the fact everyone regards a bullbar is essential and has no consequences if fitted.

The people who wrote the article are at the bottom end of an incidence funnel, and see some failures, all vehicles have them, so they report it as a significant problem.

Always read articles/reviews with a healthy serving of suspicion, they may have some actual decent informative facts sometimes.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:53 am 

Thanks mydmax for the comments. They have been helpful in giving me an informed view about the cracking issue.

Besides the mention of the bullbar, GDLs review seems to be very favorable and his conclusions is such that the Dmax is mechanically superior to all its peers.

The inner guard cracking is a bit of a concern, but if I'm able to guage the feedback from this forum, it could ally these concerns. The package for Dmax LSM is still on top of my list. I guess, I'll wait to see how these cracking concerns transpires

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:48 pm 

Winston
My view is, Isuzu advertise as having a ladder frame/chassis, others are similar.

If you twist a ladder, the end pieces will try to, not be inline with each other, distorted as in a slightly squashed cardboard box. Parallelogram. If ANY vehicle is subjected to that and the chassis ends are being held solid and rigid by an unyielding bullbar, then instead of flexing the twist of both chassis members is accentuated near the front of those sections. Exactly where the crash/crush deformation reliefs are and at the chassis brackets of the bull bar. Twist them too much or too often and any chassis will give trouble.
BT 50's have had the brackets torn off and bits ripped out of the chassis on some.

Some of those forces are also transferred to the body structure which is rubber mounted with some compliance ability. If the amount of twist is great then the body has to deform too if the rubber mounts can't accept all the distortion. I imagine that too will begin to flex the innner guards a little on most vehicles.Bend a bot of metal and it fatigue fails near the middle, inner guards not exception.

Of all the vehicles made of any brand, only some have trouble though.