NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:18 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:06 am 

Finally something maybe useful from Pedders for all those who hate rear drums on their car http://d22enj1fxubdc2.cloudfront.net/si ... -final.pdf no word on price though but being Pedders be prepared to give up your first born or at least an arm or two.

Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:49 am 

Danny
It would suit auto owners who are prepared to have discs and lose the left leg as payment. Arms needed for steering, so must be retained.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:42 am 

As far as I can see, just about any brake can be applied hard enough to skid, even on good bitumen. So 'better' brakes will not change that, except that they might skid a bit quicker.

Then that is modified by ABS, so as to not skid.

But as far as I can see, unless their kit comes with a better ABS sensor, (no sign of that on the .pdf) their claim of stopping 12 metres sooner from 100kmh can't be true.

"Independent Australian engineering test results proved that at 100kmh the TrakRyder rear disc braking system
upgrade stopped an average 12.3 meters sooner than original equipment."
http://d22enj1fxubdc2.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/docs/product-release/ped-3950g-npr-brake-disc-conversion-kit-isuzu-d-max-final.pdf

I'm a theoretician, you two are practical and experienced. Where am I wrong?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:13 pm 

garrytre
I am inclined to think the same, if under full braking, the ABS pump is applying it's full pressure to the brakes with the rotation sensor modified braking to each wheel and it simply stops lockup. Therefore the rear disc and drum should be both at the same, almost lockup point, so no variation in braking would be seen, or measured.
Only if and when the shoes have heated to lose friction ability with the drum is a deterioration able to be measured.
Most people don't drive along doing crash stops every 1/2 a kilometre to heat brakes past their once of emergency braking ability.

That poses the question how, independent is the engineering certifier. As you mentioned, no additional info was supplied, just a statement to pacify the ones wishing to buy the system.
There is no harm in having it, but as Danno said, being disabled after purchase may not be desired by most.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:25 pm 

Yes, on the big hill coming into Adelaide from Melbourne, every now & then a truck cooks its brakes and doesn't stop, but I never heard of any cars doing it.
Still, I've got a bag of fruit - bull bar, winch, snorkle, difflock, breathers, - never use any of them, might as well get rear disks and a gold plated mermaid as well.