NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:44 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:09 pm 

Gday Guys,

I have had an EFS Adventure Series Bullbar on my 2017 Dmax for about a year, about 6 months ago after going across some pretty easy corrugated roads I noticed the Bullbar shaking a lot, this seemed pretty normal until I saw that the Bullbar had actual hit my headlights and the surrounding paintwork causing some minor damage to both.

I checked the bolts and everything was done up tight and there was roughly a 20mm gap between the Bullbar and the point that was being hit. I raised the issue with the company that installed it and they just enlarged the gap and were positive it wouldn’t happen again.

This weekend just gone by I once again drove on some corrugated roads and once again it has cause my Bullbar to hit my car, chipping off paint and some plastic on the headlights!

Any ideas as to how to fix this/what the issue is?

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:50 am 

Did you lower the tyre pressures and drive slower to conditions, to avoid the large development of chassis dynamics moving the chassis and body work to the maximum?
It may not be the bullbar moving so much, but the bodywork on it’s rubber mountings. There has to be flexibility there and there is.

When there is compression of the rubber mounts AND dynamic torsional twist of the chassis and they are out of phase the components will move close to each other.
Do you have a roof rack? That will make it worse with a higher CG causing longer duration of greater magnitude movement of related body/chassis parts.

Nothing can be rigid, so allowance for relative movement has to be factored into the system somewhere.
Unless there is less static clearance of the EFS bar, I can’t see any bar being any different if mounted to the same chassis points.
What shock absorbers do you have. The OE shocks are very unlikely to be able to control chassis movement dynamics under worse than normal road conditions. They are made for cost effective comfort and not performance.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:13 am 

Meerkat wrote:
Gday Guys,

I have had an EFS Adventure Series Bullbar on my 2017 Dmax for about a year, about 6 months ago after going across some pretty easy corrugated roads I noticed the Bullbar shaking a lot, this seemed pretty normal until I saw that the Bullbar had actual hit my headlights and the surrounding paintwork causing some minor damage to both.

I checked the bolts and everything was done up tight and there was roughly a 20mm gap between the Bullbar and the point that was being hit. I raised the issue with the company that installed it and they just enlarged the gap and were positive it wouldn’t happen again.

This weekend just gone by I once again drove on some corrugated roads and once again it has cause my Bullbar to hit my car, chipping off paint and some plastic on the headlights!

Any ideas as to how to fix this/what the issue is?

Cheers

It's always been a known issue with the DMax, it's not the bullbar moving it's the body of the vehicle on what are too soft body mounts, the only solution is to space the bar well away from the body as pointed out. The problem worsens when actually 4wd'ing and twisting the body up, I've put photos on here somewhere of what happens and it's surprising how much movement there is between body and bar.

25mm would be the minimum space I would recommend.

Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549