NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:17 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:41 am 

Just wondering how difficult it would be to change a manual 5 speed box for an auto in a 2012 D-max.
I've been told it can't be done but if i had all the bits why not. My reason is a shoulder injury is effecting gear change. My d-max has only 90,000kms on the clock so trading in is a loss after money I've spent on it.
Any ideas?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:29 am 

rebel105
It is going to be a lot of work. 2 0r 4 wd?
The tail shaft is one piece on an auto and two piece on a manual, on some models. Depending on varint.
You will need an auto box.

Nearly all vehicle wiring loom, because the auto has more than the manual for a number of items. So complete loom AND the ECU for an auto changed from the manual ECU. If it is a Dmax it will most likely have a Transtron ECU, Holden Colorado has a Delco ECU. Different plugs too as far as I know.

It is not just the auto but the drive plate and torque converter also needed.

In later post 12 models the diffs are the same ratio but in the pre 12 models the diffs are different ratios, so they may have to change too.

Inside, apart from the loom change, there is more controller units for an auto model, they have to be sourced.
The dash has some variants too and the Auto cluster is different and has more indicating systems within it.

Radiator may need to be changed so the auto has it's designed cooling feature in the bottom tank, although some use large air heat exchangers for the auto fluid cooling process.

You would need a donor vehicle of the same production run to achieve all you need without the model changes becoming a problem. Security and key remote entry would also be required from key fobs to same codes as the replacement auto ECU so inhibitor works and permits ECU operation.