NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:08 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:16 pm 

Just returned from a month long trip to as far south as Bright. After an over night stop at Anglers Rest the car wouldn't start. Had a load test at the local auto electric shop, the load test came up good but acid was evident. Did a trip to Mt Buffalo and back and the battery was cooking acid every where. So hot you could not touch it. Acid leaking out. Load test still good. Got them to replace with an N70 not the pissy size as standard. Trip home no problems. The sparky said he had never seen a battery fail so badly. Isuzu must have bought a cheap batch. 2016 model Dmax.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:54 pm 

towtug
It is unusual for a battery to load test and appear ok but boil. A Battery cannot boil itself, it is boiled by the Alternator driving too high a voltage into it and subsequently too much amp flow, ie, energy. I would definitely have the alt voltage checked after the battery has had time to charge up after starting. Do you have a voltmeter for monitoring it as you drive?

If the voltage is to high then it has to be the regulator OR, there is a resstance in the battery voltage sense wire going to the regulator and it sees the battery as being low in volts but it isn't, but stuffs in voltage and amps needlessly.

Batteries on charge which are at their end will spew and stew with normal charging but they don't load test ok at all.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:26 am 

Hi mydmax
Had me stumped and also Bright auto and he checked it twice. At first he said i had over filled it but i soon pointed out i had been driving trucks,coaches and earth moving gear and maintaining them since i was 14years old that got dismissed.
I have a scanguage fitted and it normally sits on 13.9volt . He put it down to a dud battery.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:47 am 

On some of my old motorcycles I was lucky to get 12 months out of them.

And they were expensive.

But, like you, I did get a dud one once and I had to stop because the acid was leaking and there was smoke coming out from under my seat.

The alternator was OK, no other shorts, just a dud battery.

So they do die spectacularly from time to time.