NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:51 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours


We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:36 pm
Posts: 1581
earthman
Maybe you do perform more jobs than most, but since the ABS is a flow through until valve exclusion shut off when activated, if you bleed the system you are bleeding the system.
If wanting a tool to activate just that, then ok I suppose, but is it an advantage or necessary?

The ABS pump doesn't actually provide a flow to any degree for brake application, more a modulated pressure, since the system is already FULL and pressurized when it ever begins to operate.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:51 pm
Posts: 788
Location: God's country
mydmax wrote:
I always carry a printed copy of codes and use it to refer to if / when I need to diagnose a reason for limp mode. Had to use it twice so far when the turbo control chamber hose dropped off and on a low atmospheric day and with a 3" exhaust there was not enough EGR flow. Scangauge cleared both. A wise person would never travel in the outback without a scanning gauge and code list. If you can't use it, someone else probably can and get you moving again. Cheap insurance and travel holiday not ruined/ ended.


Now that's a good idea! Are codes all the same between manufacturers - if I find a list, would they also be applicable to the D-Max?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:36 pm
Posts: 1581
Aussie
I haven't made a study of codes, but you can search for codes used by Isuzu and print them.
The code prefix letter and number, if registered and read by a scan device, can be found in the print list and it points you to the system which may be the issue. It isn't necessarily definitive but it sure helps. If no code registered but there is a fault, then physical issues may be present. Blocked filter/bad earth/loose or dirty pins in a system loom connector.

A sample case.
A local timber merchant had a near new D40 Navara, it stopped while towing a van. Trucked to a dealer who said "it has multiple sensor failure". That has to be rubbish with a sudden number of codes present.
After bringing it home via RACV, our local dealer fiddled with things and suddenly it started, but they didn't know what they did to fix it. It seems to a few others that they rebolted an earthing to neg point, and unwittingly/unknowingly rectified the problem. That has to have been the cause of the sensors not working.
Strangely all the faulty sensors suddenly restored themselves to perfect working order now they had correct supply and current flow and NO codes reappeared. The local dealer then would not trade the vehicle because they claimed it has problems despite giving it a clear report just 5 minutes beforehand.
So the codes are a guide but not necessarily the actual problem. Sometimes the code is spot on. Some lateral thinking is also required. If away the code can be radioed to others or sent via text for help/advice. To get it out of limp mode by yourself or after some advice is a feeling of relief.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:23 pm
Posts: 3231
Location: Darwin... sort of.
Aussie wrote:
mydmax wrote:
I always carry a printed copy of codes and use it to refer to if / when I need to diagnose a reason for limp mode. Had to use it twice so far when the turbo control chamber hose dropped off and on a low atmospheric day and with a 3" exhaust there was not enough EGR flow. Scangauge cleared both. A wise person would never travel in the outback without a scanning gauge and code list. If you can't use it, someone else probably can and get you moving again. Cheap insurance and travel holiday not ruined/ ended.


Now that's a good idea! Are codes all the same between manufacturers - if I find a list, would they also be applicable to the D-Max?


Here https://www.troublecodes.net/isuzu/iszuobd2/

_________________
Cheers
Dan
Moderator
Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:52 am
Posts: 96
Location: UK
mydmax wrote:
earthman
Maybe you do perform more jobs than most, but since the ABS is a flow through until valve exclusion shut off when activated, if you bleed the system you are bleeding the system.
If wanting a tool to activate just that, then ok I suppose, but is it an advantage or necessary?

The ABS pump doesn't actually provide a flow to any degree for brake application, more a modulated pressure, since the system is already FULL and pressurized when it ever begins to operate.


Ah, so the ABS system on these trucks are not of a closed loop design? That's good to know, I assumed that like many other modern vehicles nowadays, fluid would remain within the pump until activated via a diagnostic/dealer tool.

Putting the activation of the ABS pump to one side, being able to turn off that warning light, airbag light etc and reset the service interval for example are things that a cheap scan tool won't do,.....personally I don't see much point in buying a tool that can just give you a fault code, for me it's got to be able to clear/reset too otherwise I'll have to take the vehicle to a garage after fixing the actual fault myself.

Anyone got first hand experience of this Launch CRP123 tool?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IMYsQk4SMk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:36 pm
Posts: 1581
earthman
We can easily misunderstand each other but the ABS has to be able to "breathe" fluid and when it operates it simply blocks you and your brake pressure out of hydraulic circuit, and creates it's own pressure in the fluid forward of that cutoff point. I can't see why or how the pump would be separate from the system. The pump is always full of fluid, otherwise it cannot instantly operate to create a control pressure. It does have 3 channels on the earlier Dmax and 4 channel control on the later shape/models. Each channel is modulated to vent back to master cylinder side if releasing a brake and reapplying if required. That is when you feel the ABS pulses happening and released pressure is dumped back to the master cylinder side. Some systems are different and have no master cylinder and they wear out the ABS pump often enough. I presume yours has a master cylinder.

I have a Scangauge 2 and it can read, and clear codes. Only needed it twice so far. I also have a Foxwell hand held scan tool and it reads and clears codes and displays a host of information, some of which I haven't found out what they are yet.
If there is no fault in the Airbag system then the light won't come on will it?. If it is on because of a battery reconnect and no fault then the system learns it again from what I know, when it registers normality it turns the light off.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:52 am
Posts: 96
Location: UK
mydmax wrote:
earthman
We can easily misunderstand each other but the ABS has to be able to "breathe" fluid and when it operates it simply blocks you and your brake pressure out of hydraulic circuit, and creates it's own pressure in the fluid forward of that cutoff point. I can't see why or how the pump would be separate from the system. The pump is always full of fluid, otherwise it cannot instantly operate to create a control pressure. It does have 3 channels on the earlier Dmax and 4 channel control on the later shape/models. Each channel is modulated to vent back to master cylinder side if releasing a brake and reapplying if required. That is when you feel the ABS pulses happening and released pressure is dumped back to the master cylinder side. Some systems are different and have no master cylinder and they wear out the ABS pump often enough. I presume yours has a master cylinder.

I have a Scangauge 2 and it can read, and clear codes. Only needed it twice so far. I also have a Foxwell hand held scan tool and it reads and clears codes and displays a host of information, some of which I haven't found out what they are yet.
If there is no fault in the Airbag system then the light won't come on will it?. If it is on because of a battery reconnect and no fault then the system learns it again from what I know, when it registers normality it turns the light off.


I totally agree, very easy to misunderstand each other via text on a forum. :)

This guy is talking about motorcycles but the principal is the same for 4 wheels, go to 2.40 minutes in, he explains the difference regarding an 'open' and 'closed' ABS system. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WDm1agE_-w

I have had a quick look at the Foxwell systems too,.....still debating/trying to find out which tool would be best for me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:51 pm
Posts: 788
Location: God's country
I had a play with my Ultra Gauge 2 today. Changed some of the display settings and reconfigured the stats to display.

It had stored the code U0001. Which as far as I can tell means some sort of comms lost to the ECU?

https://www.obd-codes.com/u0001 - an example of one site explaining the code.

I am presuming that was due to the recent check-engine-light. Unfortunately it didn't show a date/time, which I think would be a useful feature if that was possible.

So I reckon it was due to disconnecting the battery, although that light illuminating has never happened before, and I have disconnected the battery half a dozen times over the years.

Anyway, the check-engine-light which went away of its own accord on the afternoon of the service, has not illuminated since. So it must have been a furphy.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:51 pm
Posts: 788
Location: God's country
Danno wrote:
Aussie wrote:
mydmax wrote:
I always carry a printed copy of codes and use it to refer to if / when I need to diagnose a reason for limp mode. Had to use it twice so far when the turbo control chamber hose dropped off and on a low atmospheric day and with a 3" exhaust there was not enough EGR flow. Scangauge cleared both. A wise person would never travel in the outback without a scanning gauge and code list. If you can't use it, someone else probably can and get you moving again. Cheap insurance and travel holiday not ruined/ ended.


Now that's a good idea! Are codes all the same between manufacturers - if I find a list, would they also be applicable to the D-Max?


Here https://www.troublecodes.net/isuzu/iszuobd2/


Thanks! My code wasn't listed there.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:51 pm
Posts: 788
Location: God's country
mydmax wrote:
Aussie
I haven't made a study of codes, but you can search for codes used by Isuzu and print them.
The code prefix letter and number, if registered and read by a scan device, can be found in the print list and it points you to the system which may be the issue. It isn't necessarily definitive but it sure helps. If no code registered but there is a fault, then physical issues may be present. Blocked filter/bad earth/loose or dirty pins in a system loom connector


Thanks.I am going to do just this - print codes. Like from the generic site I found and also Isuzu specific ones from Danno's post.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC + 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group