NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:39 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

Post subject: pre filter
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:58 am 

cant find any feedback on the mann and hummel preline pre filter. They make the provent we all love. the filter assembly looks good cast aluminium with integral primer, comes with a water sensor for wiring to in dash warning light. I think its a 10 micron filter (pl150) made in germany about $50 to replace . theres a pl150 kit with no fuel barbs, line or bracket on ebay for sub $250. im tempted as i havnt got one yet , the alternative for me would be the fuel manager/ flashlube unit with additional water bowl and water sensor and hand primer, with a donaldson 10 micron(p551432) filter instead of the standard 30 micron. this will end up costing a lot more than the mann unit.

anyone running this pre filter in their dmax?

Post subject: Re: pre filter
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:37 pm 

4jj1
I use a Donaldson P902976 filter kit, Cost is less than $200, with bigger barbed fittings to suit the hose size on a 2011 Dmax.
The filters are 11micron P550588 and cost around $22. There is no primer pump or water sensing but that is sensed later in the main filter IF water gets to it.
It has a drain valve and clear sump and the filter is a dewatering medium which collects and deposits fuel borne water into the bottom clear bowl. Can be drained from there.

Seems to be effective and not expensive. The aux filter has been used for the last 7 years.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:16 pm 

Thanks mydmax ive seen those , they would be good if i had the previous model dmax with the in tank fuel pump, ive got the 12 on model with the suction fuel pump, so priming may be an issue for me. i want a built in primer, so i can change it and prime it on the side of the road if necessary. i think Ive seen a filter assembly from the states that has a hand primer and runs the p550558 size donaldson filters, this might be an option.
I also like the idea of a dash mounted warning light and might add an audible buzzer to the water sensor circuit as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:12 am 

I believe the OEM filters are 10 micron, so have chosen to utilise it as a pre-filter, and run a P903074 Donaldson filter (3 micron) as a secondary, as most common rail engines can handled up to around 7 micron before incurring abnormal wear. This way the OEM primary does most of the work.
I did consider a Donaldson P903316 (3 micron) however as with the P902976 (11 micron) its maximum flow rate is 114 lpm, and the 4jj1 engine utilises around 113 lpm under maximum load, therefore not leaving much room to move.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:20 am 

M Thomas
To get 113LPM through the fuel system lines of a DMAX, you would need a very high pressure differential indeed. Perhaps after a rethink on the flow rate it is actually LP hour. If 114litres per minute was forced through those filters it would simply remove the filter and force it out of the can.
If the engine used near 114 litres per minute, at full throttle for a period of time the tank,when full, would be emptied in under 40 seconds.
The 11 micron filter of Donaldsons can become reasonably restricted, ie a reduction in the 114LPH they state, and still run without any noticeable negative engine effects. Maybe Donaldson have tested their filters. So saying they run close to that figure is somewhat misleading.

The OE Dmax filters are 5 Micron according to Isuzu Australia, That is what they emailed me with, 5 micron.

I am not sure a CRD system can tolerate a 7 micron particle size through the high pressure pump and injectors without causing some damage.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:06 pm 

I have a 2013 model and a Flashlube primary filter, i.e. before the OEM filter, and have no problem priming the system, using the OEM priming pump, after changing either or both filters.

Tink