NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:58 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

Post subject: Headlight adjustment
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:44 pm 

Hello everyone,,,
Anyone know how to adjust the high beam aim. Mine is still std ride height but has some extra weight in the rear due to tub liner, tub rubber mat, towbar and tonneau. On high showbox.bio/ tutuapp.uno/ vidmate.vet/ beam the lights are about 3 metres up the trees.
Mine is an LST so it has the Projecta headlights (if that makes a difference). Nothing in the owners manual…

Last edited by Macgomes on Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Headlight adjustment
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:23 pm 

Do you have a levelling control on the dash for such events?

Usually along Philips screwdriver is required to engage the normal adjusters.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:56 pm 

The adjusters are on the back of the headlights but they are small and well hidden from memory.

Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:50 am 

They are a bugger to see and it takes quite a bit of turning before you get any discernable movement.

Set up your vehicle pointing at a wall at least 20 feet away. Turn on the lights.
Mark the clear line on the wall, with tape if you don't want to mark the wall.

The adjuster is behind the headlight, you will need a torch.
Use a medium to large Phillips head, and start turning the little wheel by turning the screwdriver, make sure it engages the little gear.

Watch the light, turn in the direction that makes the light go up or down, depending on what you want.

Don't go more than 1 cm to start, that will add quite a few metres of range.

Test drive, if people flash you, you have gone too far, bring it down a fraction.

The high beam on MUX is at best, pathetic, but the low beam is quite good, almost don't need high beam.
Ill be putting some driving lights on mine very soon.
All the high beam does is makes it brighter, no penetration at all.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:35 pm 

Valkie
Why are the high beams rubbish. Perhaps an investigation may be in order if normal lights not HID OR LED.
Years ago I bought HJ62Lcruiser Turbo. Good vehicle but the lights were appalling.
Testing the quartz sealed beams at the rear connector I found, Due to wiring small and deficient, the 14.2v I had at the battery, diminished to just a smidge over 11v at the plug on the headlight.
I quickly made a wiring loom with two relays, One for high and one for low and provided power for those relays direct of a heavy line from the rear alternator terminal because that is where the power comes from, not the battery.
The results, still with the same headlights were amazing and the voltage at the rear of those lights were now 14V when engine running, same as pervious test.
All it did was restore the, voltage, amps and colour temperature to the performance of the headlight, yellow, VW Combi like illumination isn't much good.
PS. Most modern vehicles have minimal sized wiring in their circuits, this can result in low actual voltage at lights etc.A Tom Jones situation, "It's Not Unusual"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:34 am 

mydmax wrote:
Valkie
Why are the high beams rubbish. Perhaps an investigation may be in order if normal lights not HID OR LED.
Years ago I bought HJ62Lcruiser Turbo. Good vehicle but the lights were appalling.
Testing the quartz sealed beams at the rear connector I found, Due to wiring small and deficient, the 14.2v I had at the battery, diminished to just a smidge over 11v at the plug on the headlight.
I quickly made a wiring loom with two relays, One for high and one for low and provided power for those relays direct of a heavy line from the rear alternator terminal because that is where the power comes from, not the battery.
The results, still with the same headlights were amazing and the voltage at the rear of those lights were now 14V when engine running, same as pervious test.
All it did was restore the, voltage, amps and colour temperature to the performance of the headlight, yellow, VW Combi like illumination isn't much good.
PS. Most modern vehicles have minimal sized wiring in their circuits, this can result in low actual voltage at lights etc.A Tom Jones situation, "It's Not Unusual"

I call it as I see it.
Few cars I have owned, have had adequate high beams.
Living where I live, there are few (if any) street lights.
I also drive many country roads, not highways, but skinny, horrible tracks lightly painted with black stuff.

Driving on these goat tracks with winding corners and mobile, furry speed humps
it pays to have some decent lighting , preferably with penitration and range of a few hundred meters.

The MU-X has pretty good low beam.
Probably the best I have had, but as usual, the high beams are simply brighter, with no penitration or range.
I will be fitting adequate driving lights as soon as I can afford them and something to mount them on.

Dont get me wrong, its not the MU-X
Holdens, Toyotas, Hondas, Mazdas, all have crap high beams, 55 or 60 watts just dont cut it.
Only some Fords have been reasonable, but to drive a ford is my nigtmare.

If you dont have driving lights, get a couple of good ones.
Then go for a drive on a country road.
see the difference, thats why everybody puts them on cars, its much better.
Steer away from the HID and LED ones though.
The light just dont seem right, and you get sore eyes after an hour or so.
The good ols Halogen seem to be best for me and I can drive all night with no discomfort.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:12 pm 

Valkie.
Don't get sucked into fitting higher wattage globes, as the vehicle wiring cannot support the additional amp draw and the globes will be dimmer while drawing more amps AND creating much more heat to cook the reflectors in the headlights. Proper delivered voltage may help.

If buying LED lights, around 4000k colour temp is ok for driving, the 6000k (Kelvin) is a bit hard on the eyes though.
I used to used two 140mm Hella driving lights with 55w halogen globes and run off relay driven from back of alternator. Top voltage to the driving lights and they delivered more light than the average 100w light installation.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:34 pm 

mydmax wrote:
Valkie.
Don't get sucked into fitting higher wattage globes, as the vehicle wiring cannot support the additional amp draw and the globes will be dimmer while drawing more amps AND creating much more heat to cook the reflectors in the headlights. Proper delivered voltage may help.

If buying LED lights, around 4000k colour temp is ok for driving, the 6000k (Kelvin) is a bit hard on the eyes though.
I used to used two 140mm Hella driving lights with 55w halogen globes and run off relay driven from back of alternator. Top voltage to the driving lights and they delivered more light than the average 100w light installation.

Oh, I have no intention of putting larger wattage into my lights
Made that mistake many years ago and melted the reflector.
I only purchase quality Glass driving lights.
And wire them to draw directly from the battery.
Via a fused relay of course.
And getting a good relay is hard too.
Some of the high end ones are simply crap.
I use industrial heavy duty relays, and even then, one per light.

I have been using driving lights for many years.
Halogen have always been more than adequate for my needs.
I purchased some quite expensive LED ones a few years ago and didn't like them at all.
Very bright, but not at all comfortable after a while.
The HID ones I bought reflected too much light back from....everything.
So it was back to the halogen for me.

And replacement globes are much cheaper and easier to carry spares.