NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:47 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:21 am 

Been looking at servicing my dmax 5 speed auto myself, because of cost and to have it done properly without the BS. The following is my opinion only and im happy to be corrected.

isuzu's auto boxs are made by Aisin, toyota owns 49% of Aisin. the 5 speed box used in the previous dmax and hilux, fj cruiser etc are one and the same. the 6 speed box used on the current dmax and hilux are also the same. seems toyota rename the aisin boxs.

the previous 5 speed aisin used in the 12-17 dmax is the TB50-LS toyota call it the a750e 2wd and a750f 4wd.

the current 6 speed aisin used in the new dmax is the AWR6B45, but toyota call it the ac60.

it could be possible to find parts (filter,gasket) for the dmax gearboxs by searching with the toyota name for the gearbox and for me it works out cheaper.

link to tb50-ls/a750f pan fluid, filter change only
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQjbD8LeYt4

link to tb50-ls/a750e diy full fluid flush
https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/diy ... ion.68462/

link to aisin product page , interesting to see max torque input v chipped/remapped engine outputs.
https://www.aisin-aw.co.jp/en/products/ ... up/at.html

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:37 am 

4jj1
If only considering a fan fluid and filter change, it isn't going to achieve much at all. Same as if it had done 300,000km. You can only clean the pan of contaminant film on it's surface and any metallic particles will be on the magnets. Any crap caught on the filter will still be there if the pan doesn't come off. If they haven't gone through the filter then there they will stay.

If doing fluid and pan off, then yes, clean filter and a complete flush of the system is the only way if you are serious about your auto's internals. Clean fluid IS the key to longlife.
A pan change only is a small dilution of the total dirty fluid volume.

To change the fluid, a decent change of fluid, you will need 12 or more litres to see continuous clean fluid exiting from the return line fitting of the radiator heat exchanger.
I used 15 litres to change a mates Falcon after it went underwater. Pan off in that case of course. Run until it blurts out the exit and refill, a few times while changing through gears fast enough to make it select ratios, and reverse, to attempt/ensure some clearance of old fluid out of servo chambers. Not sure f anyone does that. Have to have rear wheels OFF the deck and on stands to do the job.

If you keep a volume track/account of what exits, you know what volume to add at each refill while doing the job so you don't run low too quickly.
Dirty or wrong fluid is something auto's don't like.
I used to rebuild them for a motor trader/motor wrecker. Often a complete dismantle of all clutch packs and servo chambers, (because a few businesses got suckered into using a fly bynight, oil trader for their fluid) hundreds of parts, older Honda 2 part Auto's are a challenge, valve body was in two separate sections.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:19 am 

yes youre right mydmax, i was planning on doing a full flush. ill change the filter as well as its enclosed and difficult to inspect/clean it internally on the tb50-ls (look at the first link i posted). i need to flush it because the last time it was done it got genuine isuzu atf, which is semi synthetic, i want to change for full synthetic this time. apparently you need to get the tranny up to specific temp range for a proper fluid level check. i dont have a scanguage 2, so i might have to upgrade my obd scan tool as well.

My other option would be to supply and mark a new filter, take it to a tranny service place and request it to be flushed with full syn atf. id tell them ill be checking the fluid colour and filter after its done. I think they use a machine that drains , measures and replaces the atf. but like i said before its too much BS, its probably easier just to do it myself. ive paid top dollar before and been burned.

interesting that if you search for the auto gearboxes using the toyota name for them you can find upgraded valve bodies, and after market "compushift" transmission contollers. as well as filters and pan gaskets.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:33 pm 

4jj1
If they actually flush the whole system, ie, most is held in the torque converter, a displacement unit is used. This has two chambers connected at the top but sealed from outside. As fluid plumbed to the empty chamber enters, it creates a pressure in the other side and the air pressure in one side forces the fluid out of the other side and into the box. Can be made from large poly pipe with screw caps. Fill the replenish side with new fluid of desired type and run engine. I would still operate the box through a much/many gear changes while it is happening though. Doesn't take long to dump it from one side to the other, just have to have a clear plastic exit line with LED torch to see the colour change and see fresh fluid not exiting the rad.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:38 pm 

4jj1
Your research is correct and sounds like you know what you are doing.
To do a full flush on my Prado 150
( I) First marked a 20 litre container in litre increments, Then how many pump of my new oil to the litre.
(2) Disconnect out to container.
(3) Connect pump to return.
(4) Hand brake on. Motor on idle.
(5) Assistant Runs through all gears to clean out full system. (Make sure you keep up supply as old oil is replaced )
(6) When oil is running clean Shut down.
(7) When cool enough or over night . Drop sump and replace filter and replace oil dropped It should be clean.
(8) Do the normal oil level test to check.