NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:28 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

Post subject: Merit Plugs
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:21 pm 

So recently I bought a portable fridge and solar/battery kit. The fridge comes with a Merit plug power cord. This plug will not stay in the lighter socket! It seems to have no grip. Likewise my power panel in the back has Narva lighter sockets with the ability to lock a Merit plug in by turning it. Same deal, no grip, plug is pushed out loosing contact. I've tried 3 different brands of Merit plugs, same result. Is there something that I'm missing here. Is there some knack to using these infernal things?

Post subject: Re: Merit Plugs
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:36 pm 

Crayfish
A long time ago I stopped even trying to run fridges off merit and ciggy plugs. While the merit is a bit better current flow capability, both loosen and cause problems.
I buy 50AMP Anderson plugs in packs of 20 off the net. Approx $24 for 20 of them, fr cheape than the above, and solder the pins to the fridge and vehicle supply wires. NEVER AGAIN will you have problems with the fridge supply. The merit and ciggy become high resistance and reduce the amp flow and the plugs themselves either burn out and cause fire or they stop the fridge from working. You usually need better current supply wire dia from battery to the andersons and also the fridge to minimize ANY voltage drop so the fridge can actually work well.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:15 pm 

Merit are much better than the ciggy plugs and sockets but unless the merit has the red adaptor it will never plug into a ciggy socket.

I have all my stuff running via Anderson plugs and have lost count of how many I have brought over the times.

Don't buy them at Supercheap as you will pay around $20 just for one.

2014 LST Ash Beige. SMM Steel canopy, Outback Drawers, dual battery with 2 x 160W solar panels (keeps the beers nice and cold), 135L tank, TJM T15 alloy bar with Xray-vision LED lights, Dumbo Clearview Mirrors. The ultimate tow truck.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:57 pm 

Needs to have the cover sleeve on to go into normal ciggy socket.
Either install a merit female or as others have said Anderson or best of all a fridge socket, looks like a ciggy socket but you screw a sleeve onto the receiver so it can’t wiggle out.