NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:18 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

Post subject: Aftermarket turbo
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 5:48 pm 

Gday folk

New to 4x4 and forum alike. I have a 2015 DMax SX Dual Cab with bull bar and canopy. Its a work car but don't tow anything. Last 6 months I notice the intercooler pipe to the engine has some oil marks. It's starting to get worse. My neighbour (a retired diesel mechanic) said it's not critical yet but I should change the turbo soon. So now I'm in the market to replace the turbo, just wondering if it's worth it to use aftermarket turbo. I probably do 4x4 tips maybe t2 to 3 times a year.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: Aftermarket turbo
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 6:44 pm 

What do you mean the intercooler pipe has some oil marks. You didn't explain that at all. Inside or outside the pipe??????? The oil inside an intercooler pipe is entirely normal. If outside it means a leak from split hose or loose clamp.
SO, what is it? For the diesel man to see some oil and say to replace turbo, without definite faults is absolutely stupid and incompetent and shows little knowledge of your vehicle. Either you haven't mentioned extra info or something.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 7:33 pm 

mydmax wrote:
What do you mean the intercooler pipe has some oil marks. You didn't explain that at all. Inside or outside the pipe??????? The oil inside an intercooler pipe is entirely normal. If outside it means a leak from split hose or loose clamp.
SO, what is it? For the diesel man to see some oil and say to replace turbo, without definite faults is absolutely stupid and incompetent and shows little knowledge of your vehicle. Either you haven't mentioned extra info or something.

Hi Mydamx, The oil is on the outside the cold line of the intercooler pipe and surrounding area below it. Its a little more than oil mark. It's a concerning amount

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 8:04 pm 

The only way any oil from inside the pipe, (which is normal to have a small presence) can be outside is if there is a split or hole OR a clamp is not tight enough. Hardly a reason to replace a turbo. Normally everything is dry outside the airstream. As you probably know, all engines emit some oil fumes via the crankcase breather which comes from the cam cover and goes to a T before the air inlet, so some oily fumes can accumulate. Normal though. Are you sure the oil is coming from anything pipe or turbo related. It may be from somewhere else. I would investigate really sensibly before ever beginning to blame a turbo. The diesel mechanic may have had very little experience with turbos, sounds sus to me. There are diesel mechanics and there are other diesel mechanics. Some know how things work and others are simply a basic mechanic who just happens to work on diesels. If tightening a clamp on a hose stops the oil outside the pipe it is a cheaper way than having the same clamp tightened properly by someone after a turbo replacement.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:19 pm 

mydmax wrote:
The only way any oil from inside the pipe, (which is normal to have a small presence) can be outside is if there is a split or hole OR a clamp is not tight enough. Hardly a reason to replace a turbo. Normally everything is dry outside the airstream. As you probably know, all engines emit some oil fumes via the crankcase breather which comes from the cam cover and goes to a T before the air inlet, so some oily fumes can accumulate. Normal though. Are you sure the oil is coming from anything pipe or turbo related. It may be from somewhere else. I would investigate really sensibly before ever beginning to blame a turbo. The diesel mechanic may have had very little experience with turbos, sounds sus to me. There are diesel mechanics and there are other diesel mechanics. Some know how things work and others are simply a basic mechanic who just happens to work on diesels. If tightening a clamp on a hose stops the oil outside the pipe it is a cheaper way than having the same clamp tightened properly by someone after a turbo replacement.

I had a second opinion and they both agreed that there should not be that much oil around and under the air intake manifold. It could be that the clamp is not tight enough, but should there be that much oil intercooler??? Its more than a small presence and cakeup a fair bit now.

In your experience what would you consider the turbo is shot... eg your checklist deduction.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:33 pm 

There should be NO oil around or under the intake manifold. It is on the other side to the turbo anyway. Have you looked for oil leaks source? if oil is plenty then it should be fairly obvious where it is coming from. The intercooler passes ALL oil which condenses out of the blowby gasses and it goes the manifold. It should not be outside.
Apart from the source leak, what lube oil do you use? is it a well recognised brand or something a dealer puts in to save him money, read less quality there.. Many oils are not good at sealing rings and lots of blowby and subsequent oil volume in intake is MORE than it should be.

Leak sources,

Cam cover, injector pipe entry seals in the side of the head, loose clamp on hose as suggested, Sometimes the oil leak is near the front and is blown around the side and drips of anything it hits.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:33 pm 

mydmax wrote:
There should be NO oil around or under the intake manifold. It is on the other side to the turbo anyway. Have you looked for oil leaks source? if oil is plenty then it should be fairly obvious where it is coming from. The intercooler passes ALL oil which condenses out of the blowby gasses and it goes the manifold. It should not be outside.
Apart from the source leak, what lube oil do you use? is it a well recognised brand or something a dealer puts in to save him money, read less quality there.. Many oils are not good at sealing rings and lots of blowby and subsequent oil volume in intake is MORE than it should be.

Leak sources,

Cam cover, injector pipe entry seals in the side of the head, loose clamp on hose as suggested, Sometimes the oil leak is near the front and is blown around the side and drips of anything it hits.

Cheers!