Long term use of Hard Intercooler Pipes

danjan

Long term use of Hard Intercooler Pipes

Post by danjan »

Hey,
Before I fit my new Alloy Intercooler Pipework, has anyone experienced any long term effects from the more solid mounting and less flex on the throttle body or anywhere else.

I see vibration and flex in the standard pipes, hope not to cause any issues down the track..

Cheers
Attachments
IMG_9286 copy.jpg
CN1980

Re: Long term use of Hard Intercooler Pipes

Post by CN1980 »

Ive had some on for a couple of months, no issues so far.Did yours come with silicone joiners?.
danjan

Post by danjan »

CN1980 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:23 am Ive had some on for a couple of months, no issues so far.Did yours come with silicone joiners?.
Yeah.
Tink

Post by Tink »

Other than for looks, why hard pipes?

Tink
mydmax

Post by mydmax »

I also wonder why! Can't see them with bonnet closed at 100kmh. They only increase the likelyhood of vibration failure at intercooler and connections by transferring more force to those areas.
wuigi

Post by wuigi »

In another forum a long time ago in another galaxy, it was a common belief the hard pipes held pressure better because they dont expand like the rubber ducts. Bear in mind they were talking fairly high boost on performance cars. I can see the logic.
I've have seen a video of rubber hoses inflating in size when the turbo over boosts in a stock standard installation.
Spacecab
mydmax

Post by mydmax »

Wuigi
I often wonder how such strange concepts are born. Firstly. Apart from a slight increase in volume of boost hoses, which is minimal anyway, they simply DO NOT keep on expanding. Even the slight volume change is extremely quickly filled by the absolute torrent of airflow and and pressure. You would need very sensitive equipment indeed to even measure any miniscule lag in boost onset. In real terms it is utter rubbish. If it was a problem, .those proposing this would easily see the massive expansion of hoses as their mate revs the engine and the observe the swelling. If the hoses did expand like that they would chafe themselves and quickly fail and rupture where captured by hose clips/fixings. Boost hoses are much stronger than radiator hoses which are relatively weak and they run at around 14 psi and don't noticeably change dia when hot and pressured. Clear thinking is a great idea.
At 3000rpm the engine is accepting 75litres of air per second, at around 10 psi under normal operation. The hoses are going to be in a state of static expansion whatever that small amount may be.