Vent valve, PCV valve

travls2

Vent valve, PCV valve

Post by travls2 »

Gday all, I have owned my 2014 dmax since new and have finally took the time to find my oil leak.
There is a little rubber diaphragm under the little plate with 4 phillips head screws on top of the rocker cover that has failed allowing gases to escape, thus oily film on rocker cover.
As I have had a HPD catch can fitted im thinking that maybe the pressure inside could be too much.
No pressure relief apart from the dipstick which fits in snugly.
Anyway I'm thinking of tapping in 1/4 inch drain on bottom of catch can and running a hose....valve on the end....maybe.
In hindsight I wish I had bought a proven.
Anyone have the same issue?
mydmax

Re: Vent valve, PCV valve

Post by mydmax »

Travis.
The engine doesn't have a PCV valve, only positive ventilation and just breathes in crankcase blowby gasses. The catch can if full, will/should simply deliver any additional oily stuff to the engine via turbo when full of oil.. There should not be much pressure in the catch can at any time, justcondensing oil mist and blowby gas. The drain tube and drain tap is a good thing.
All Ford 3.2 L blow puffs of smoke at regular intervals as the oily deposit built up in the intercooler blows drops of oil out and into the intake airstreamtobe burnt.
travls2

Re: Vent valve, PCV valve

Post by travls2 »

Ok all good, hope this little bit of rubber is going to last. I didn't screw it down too tight as the rubber is crushed under the plate.
I would have thought a more durable valve would have been in there the spring is incredibly light to compress.
This is the second leak I have encountered....not to mention the rear main seal being done under warranty.
I have just had a king brown system installed and remap done and am a little concerned over the extra pressures that may be flowing.
Car is so much better, thanks for the quick reply too.