Egr cleaning

oz2ra

Egr cleaning

Post by oz2ra »

Gday
When removing and cleaning the egr valve, do you clean the actuator aswell and if so what is the best way. Tia
Mike C

Re: Egr cleaning

Post by Mike C »

I don't see any point in cleaning the actuator.
oz2ra

Post by oz2ra »

The plunger and bottom of the actuator/solenoid in mine is caked in carbon so im assuming the inside of it must be full of carbon aswell, which i thought wouldn't be a good thing.
So i was wondering if you can spray some contact cleaner in there to try and wash some out but dont want to stuff it.
mydmax

Post by mydmax »

oz2ra
The actuator won't be needing cleaning as it is a stepper motor which open or closes the EGR itself. BUT, The EGR valve should be clean so it can freely move. Without dunking the stepper motor part, I would soak the egr itself in a warm caustic solution so the carbon is dissolved and eliminated from the valve operation. CAUTION. If ANY Part is ALUMINIUM it will also dissolve too, SO be careful if using caustic soda. Oven cleaner is highly caustic.

If the EGR is as you say, what engine oil do you use??? If a poor quality it will not seal rings as well and cause more blowby and oily mist which is sucked into the turbo and then produces plenty of carbon in the exhaust which is part of the egr system, ie Exhaust Gas Recirculation.
If it is a dealer serviced vehicle, they WILL be using the cheapest oil they can get away with. I fitted a restrictor plate at entry to EGR so it limits the amount of flow into the manifold, 13mm hole, not full bore. A catch can to collect and precipitate oil mist BEFORE the ingestion into the turbo and engine is another way to reduce blowby oil mist quantity.
oz2ra

Post by oz2ra »

Gday mydmax i use devlac super defence and change the filter/oil every 7k. The motors stock with no catchcan. Im seriously thinking of installing a egr restrictor and catchcan. My thinking regarding the stepper motor was that the plunger in it could get jammed up with soot.
mydmax

Post by mydmax »

Delvac should be ok, but what is the viscosity. seeing these burn cleaner than old style injection systems I have never changed oil in my diesels before 10,000km. Not even in my Turbo HJ61 LC.. What grade of oil is the Delvac super defence?

Do you do a lot of short trips where the engine is largely not up to temp. ie, ratio of running and cold distance? Dilution of engine oil may be making it thinner if so 7000km, ok.

Yes the plunger and valve may get sticky when it gets hot.
oz2ra

Post by oz2ra »

The oil is 15w40 and all my driving is long distance having lived in the country and now travelling around oz towing a caravan.
oz2ra

Post by oz2ra »

I think i can stretch out the service intervals after fitting a catchcan and egr plate and save some money at the same time, oil and filters aint cheap. Cheers