Opinions please.

Silver05

Re: Opinions please.

Post by Silver05 »

I will put them on for that trip jacko. If you weren't intent on trying to get me to break stuff I would just keep the H/T's on. :D That is ...unless I can flog them off. 245/70/17s are the same OD as the 255/65/17 H/Ts and that's what I would prefer in hindsight. I'll get serious about flogging them once I have the others on.
Jackofjr

Post by Jackofjr »

Break stuff not if I can help it , I would be tempted to try a couple of those 265's on the rear of mine and take the Tvan for a short run up a couple of hills .
Silver05

Post by Silver05 »

No worries at all. I think I was a bit out with the OD of the 2 tyres but the 245/70/17s are not much bigger than the 255/65/17s.
I was reading this today but it all got too much info for me...might be of some interest to others though...

https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car-ad ... -175223825
Silver05

Post by Silver05 »

Picked up the H/Ts in Canberra today and put them on up there. Did some checks on the way back. Speedo to GPS = 103 is 100. 30klms by GPS is now 29.1klms on the trip meter. IT was.....speedo almost exact and 30klms on GPS was 28.5klms.
Car DEFINEATELY went easier with the H/Ts on. No doubt at all. IT did not slow down on the hills with cruise on. It did drop on just about any hill on the way up with the A/Ts.
I'll see how the fuel goes again.
Silver05

Post by Silver05 »

The tyre fellow ended up doing a deal with me to take the 5 265/70s and offered me 4 new 245/70s in return. I was happy enough with this and they copped a good workout on my present trip.
As far as fuel economy goes...the effect of the 265s is less than 1ltr per 100klms to equal the economy I got on my first fill with the camper on AND towing my tinny.
Not sure if that makes sense but ....no load 265/70s vs 245/70s WITH camper AND towing tinny = 0.8ltrs per 100klms difference in favour of the 265s.
Live and learn I guess but I'm happy they are gone. I was also happy with how the Toyos performed on this high country trip :D
Tailwheel

Post by Tailwheel »

Yep, Toyo's are nice tyres, BUT my Toyo Open Country AT's were dangerous in the wet. Accelerating up-hill on wet bitumen in a D-max the back end wants to go it's own way with a load in the back. I had quite a few escapades in the wet weather with them. Changed to Coopers which give a harsher ride and more road noise, but seem to hang on better.
Regards,
Tailwheel.