changing radiator and heater hoses and alternator belt timeline.

Josh

changing radiator and heater hoses and alternator belt timeline.

Post by Josh »

Hi, I was wondering if I should be looking at replacing all the radiator/heater hoses and alternator belt on my 2015 Dmax as doing a long trip soon and still original hoses and belt on there. Car has only done 76,000 k. A/C belt has been changed as was perishing. Seems to be some sites saying to change the hoses every five years.
mydmax

Re: changing radiator and heater hoses and alternator belt timeline.

Post by mydmax »

G'day Josh
Different year vehicles will have different quality/lasting rubber parts this is a well known fact.
Everyone sees things differently of course, but my 2011 still has the original hoses and belts but a few more KMs on it. Now in their 12th year. A remove and inspect is good to do on multirib belts as they can be bottoming on the belt grooves and the very top of the pulley peaks are shiny it will be slipping and not driving well. Then a belt is needed. If hoses and belts are pliable but not surfaced cracked then they should last a while longer. I always carry spares though. ie, get your moneys worth. I sold my HJ 61 Toyota after 25 years and it still had the OE radiator/heater hoses I wanted warranty on the first belt which failed, the power steering belt as it only did 74,000km. I do believe Toyota use far better quality rubber parts than some manufacturers, GM total rubbish.

If changing the coolant, I now use Toyota Corolla PINK fluid. Perhaps check that out as changing hoses will require a full hose through flush and drain and refill with decent fluid coolant.
Mike C

Re: changing radiator and heater hoses and alternator belt timeline.

Post by Mike C »

If you feel uncomfortable traveling with the old components have them changed. Last century I used to carry the old parts as spares but I don't know if anywhere is that remote these days.

For replacement rubber components I'd use Isuzu or Gates.