Replacing brake fluid- activating the ABS pump

earthman

Replacing brake fluid- activating the ABS pump

Post by earthman »

Anyone recommend a scan tool that has the function of activating the ABS pump to remove the brake fluid that's inside it?
mydmax

Re: Replacing brake fluid- activating the ABS pump

Post by mydmax »

earthman
When you bleed the system it should replace the fluid through the ABS pump. If you really want to flush it out, perhaps release a disc caliper bleeder and then apply power to the heavy wires which normally run the pump from it's relay. The ABS pump is plugged into the fuse panel relay area.

In my earlier Dmax the electric fuel pump can be activated by removing the relay and inserting two appropriate sized wires/connectors into the real main terminal ports.
The ABS is similar and connecting the two base pin socket holes in where the relay main contacts come from should run the ABS pump It draws plenty of amps and is a short run time electric motor, ie, short pulses only.
earthman

Post by earthman »

Good thinking mydmax, supplying power directly to those wires, I wouldn't have thought of that.

Do you know if it's an open or closed loop ABS system we have on these trucks?

I still wouldn't mind finding/buying a decent scan tool that can tackle this and all the other 'dealer only' type of diagnostics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WDm1agE_-w
mydmax

Post by mydmax »

The ABS has to have feed back to it's controller, otherwise when ABS is activated and it applies autonomous brake pressure to the wheels, it won't know if it has locked the wheel or not, if there is no monitoring of what is dynamically happening. Same with the traction control too, it has to know when/how much to apply braking force in order for the mechanicals to direct power to the wheels with traction.

What exactly to you want to "tackle" within the ECU control?
earthman

Post by earthman »

I just think that it's time I got a scan tool with the capabilities of doing such things as operating the ABS pump, a change of brake fluid is on my list of things to do, things like resetting air bag lights etc etc may come in handy in the future too.
If I can find one scan tool that can do practically everything on my truck and the wife's Fiat, that would be ideal.
Davros

Post by Davros »

Anyone got such a scan tool for 2021-current Dmax/Bt50? I know on my old LR Discovery it was definitely important to flush the pump, as well as have the option to bleed it if you change a master cylinder…