So what colour coolant should you really have?

Danno

So what colour coolant should you really have?

Post by Danno »

So after days of research and talking to various company reps two of who went to the trouble of digging out the material originally sent to them by Isuzu themselves I finally got to the bottom of which coolant is supposed to be in our Dmax's in this country, I got onto this because I'm having my 40k service done and it requires coolant replacement, when I questioned the service manager on how they did this the almost embarrassed reply was they basically undo the plug in the radiator and let it drain... :roll: and that's it!, they then top it up with whatever brand they use and viola that's your coolant "replacement".. read this from Aussies post in this other thread why you don't mix coolants http://www.are.com.au/feat/techtalk/horror_pictures.htm so my reply was leave it alone I'll get a radiator mob to do a full flush including heater core and keep the detailed invoice for any warranty concerns should they arise, it really shows what a crock dealer servicing is and how it can do more harm than good, remember your local garage is just as likely to pull this sort of thing too....
So as stated in the other thread Isuzu recommend a GM 6277M coolant, this is a RED coolant or an OAT coolant (Organic Additive Technology) which is Phosphate, Amine, Borate and Nitrite free, so a RED coolant is what is actually recommended by Isuzu in this country and if you check every major coolant suppliers website product selector that's what recommendation you'll find... RED, this is confusing of course because Isuzu dealerships will just put anything in as long as it's green.... but wait there's more.... Isuzu and most Asian manufacturers also require "silicate free" as stated in your handbook on page 6-106 right after stating a requirement for GM 6277M, so although RED coolant is ok and approved for warranty the silicates can actually attack your water pump seals :roll:, so it turns out that the most appropriate coolant in this country is actually BLUE! which has all the characteristics of RED but without the silicates and all the top manufacturers make it so it's readily available, mine's being changed over after the service and it's approved for warranty purposes.

Here's where it gets potentially worse, in the text above I keep referring to "in this country" when referring to colour, there is a good possibility that the green coolant in our cars is actually an OAT coolant dyed green because in Thailand that's what OAT colour may be... and if you've done your homework you will know that you DO NOT mix red (or blue) and green because in this country green is usually HOAT and the two do not play nicely with each other so the dealers could be inadvertently mixing the two different types of coolants together, two of the company reps pointed this out to me as they weren't aware the Dmax had green coolant to start with they just assumed it was red as that was the info straight from Isuzu... so my advice to everyone who intends to keep their Ute long term is get your coolant changed over asap if you've had your 40k service done.
Cheers
Dan
Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
http://www.newd-max.net/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread http://www.newd-max.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549
Tink

Re: So what colour coolant should you really have?

Post by Tink »

Good advice, again, Dan. Many thanks.

To be honest I have never noticed any Blue coolant on auto shop shelves. Maybe they were there, but just never noticed. Where did you source yours?

Tink
Danno

Post by Danno »

Tink wrote:Good advice, again, Dan. Many thanks.

To be honest I have never noticed any Blue coolant on auto shop shelves. Maybe they were there, but just never noticed. Where did you source yours?

Tink
I never noticed it either mate to be honest but it is there, I got mine from Autobarn but SCA had it, Im using Penrite but they class it as "new" but Nulon was there as were the other "known" brands. As long as it has GM 6227M approval on it it's all good.
Cheers
Dan
Tink

Post by Tink »

Thanks mate

Tink
ARROW

Post by ARROW »

Hi
Just had 40k service, they used Isuzu red premix 50% long life anti freeze coolant( I think it Caltex ).
One more thing take your engine cover off and mark the front edges of the rocker cover bolts with a black mark pen and the rubber gaskets put little cuts and scratches back and front and take a couple photo. And see if they do the valve clearances I will be surprise if they do.
Danno

Post by Danno »

ARROW wrote:Hi
Just had 40k service, they used Isuzu red premix 50% long life anti freeze coolant( I think it Caltex ).
One more thing take your engine cover off and mark the front edges of the rocker cover bolts with a black mark pen and the rubber gaskets put little cuts and scratches back and front and take a couple photo. And see if they do the valve clearances I will be surprise if they do.
But if they didn't flush it out correctly and very thoroughly including the reservoir (and I bet they didn't) your in trouble down the track.
Cheers
Dan
ARROW

Post by ARROW »

Danno wrote:
ARROW wrote:Hi
But if they didn't flush it out correctly and very thoroughly including the reservoir (and I bet they didn't) your in trouble down the track.
That's right it must be flush out. I am going to do it again soon.
Silver05

Post by Silver05 »

Thanks for that. So.....RED GM6227M and a complete flush including reservoir and heater.
The water at my place is pretty ordinary so if I drained and emptied every thing and did a couple of flushes with water through a filter like the one you had that would be OK ? or should I just buy some demineralised or distilled water???
I'll make a new heading on the note I will be printing for the dealer when the services are done.....DO NOT REPLACE ANY FLUID/OIL BEFORE CONTACTING OWNER!!!
MY15 SX Spacecab,ARB GVM Upgrade,Auto,White,Tinted,Towbar,2.2m O'Brien Alloy Tray,Trundle Draw,ARB Deluxe Steel Bar, Ironman 9500lb Monster Winch,Alloys,Mortels sheepskin seat covers,ARB Sidesteps and Rails,Plenty of Dynamat,Safari Snorkus,AVM HP Hubs
Danno

Post by Danno »

You can use red but you'd be better off using blue and definitely distilled water although red and blue aren't as sensitive to it, or you could buy 10L premixed if you wanted to and it'll work out about the same cost as buying the distilled water on top of 5L of concentrate.
Cheers
Dan
Silver05

Post by Silver05 »

Sorry about that ...I meant Blue. I think i'll do it myself before I go on the big trip to WA around Oct/Nov. I'll be up to 30k or more by then. I'll do it properly and flush it out with distilled water. What the hell...after $55,000 I don't think a few bucks for water is a major thing. :D
MY15 SX Spacecab,ARB GVM Upgrade,Auto,White,Tinted,Towbar,2.2m O'Brien Alloy Tray,Trundle Draw,ARB Deluxe Steel Bar, Ironman 9500lb Monster Winch,Alloys,Mortels sheepskin seat covers,ARB Sidesteps and Rails,Plenty of Dynamat,Safari Snorkus,AVM HP Hubs