So what colour coolant should you really have?

Danno

Re: So what colour coolant should you really have?

Post by Danno »

Nobody said it wasn't only that it's the wrong colour for what it is in this country and could cause confusion later on, interestingly though Isuzu Ute has supplied the dealerships with a list of approved coolants and it isn't on there but the ones that are are wrong.. Anyone who is considering keeping the ute long term should follow your lead and change it or it could be costly down the track.
Cheers
Dan
Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
http://www.newd-max.net/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread http://www.newd-max.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549
Just_Misplaced

Post by Just_Misplaced »

Hi guys been reading this for awhile now and decided to get a costing on having my radiator flushed and the new Blue coolant added, well both places I went to said it would be about $160-$180 for the flush and the would only be using tap water to fill. :roll:
So I may as well do the whole thing myself and save a few $$$$ in the process.
Danno

Post by Danno »

What were they using to flush it with liquid gold? It's easy to do yourself I would suggest removing the thermostat and remember to turn the heater to hot and be as thorough as possible and they should know better than to use tap water but they just don't care because it's not their own car.
Cheers
Dan
Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
http://www.newd-max.net/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread http://www.newd-max.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549
Just_Misplaced

Post by Just_Misplaced »

Danno wrote:What were they using to flush it with liquid gold? It's easy to do yourself I would suggest removing the thermostat and remember to turn the heater to hot and be as thorough as possible and they should know better than to use tap water but they just don't care because it's not their own car.
Don't worry after being told that by 2 of the stores that have an Australia wide network, I certainly wont be using them.
It's going to cost me all up by using distilled water to flush and refill with coolant (Blue) about $90.
Benj

Post by Benj »

After reading all this and speaking to a couple of mechanics I am lost for a solution really.

My brand new Dmax arrives with green coolant but my owners manual lists coolants that are orange, but blue coolant is what I and others here have found to be most suitable. On mentioning this to the mechanic at my workplace he strongly advised against changing the color as no matter how well you flush the system you can never really remove all the original coolant.

So if what I have read here is correct and some of the orange coolants are dyed green I really have no way of knowing what is in the system now green or orange!!

The blank look I got when I asked what brand and type of oil was in it at the Isuzu service centre tells me I would be wasting my time asking why the green coolant contradicts the owners manual specifications. Have they voided their own warranty???

Looks like a very careful flush and replace with blue is the lesser of two evils, maybe Isuzu will come to the party with new hoses, radiator etc ;) :lol:
Tink

Post by Tink »

The coolant in your radiator will meet Isuzu's specification if it is the original coolant.

Just because it is a different colour means nothing. Different countries have different colours for different specifications. The colour is mainly to show if the coolant system is leaking. Don't stress.

When changing the coolant make sure it meets Isuzu's specification. And any half decent radiator workshop will thoroughly flush your system for less than $100 if you are not confident to do it yourself.

Tink
mydmax

Post by mydmax »

It wouldn't be uncommon for a dealer to not use the correct coolant. If you properly flush the old coolant out there will be none left despite claims to the contrary. some mechanics are alarmist as to the options.
I used Toyota pink coolant in mine after flushing the system thoroughly. Lasts a long time. It did alright in our Corolla for years too.
To have enough Pink it will cost about $70 for two containers.
dmsantam

Post by dmsantam »

I know im bringing up an old thread, but i have a couple of questions. I am about to do a coolant change and have acquired a GM 6227M coolant that is silicate and phosphate free, and recommended for this car. It is died red instead of green that is in the vehicle currently.

http://www.gulfwestern.com.au/product/l ... d-coolant/

My plan is to turn the heater on, drain from the bottom of the radiator. Put in demineralised water only, run the car hot enough for the thermostat to open (probably about 10 mins or so), and drain. Repeat until completely clear. Then put in 5L of the coolant concentrate and fill the rest with demineralized water.

Any issues with doing it this way? cheers.
mydmax

Post by mydmax »

You can remove a hose going to the heater, have it on of course and use a garden hose running just fast enough to cause a positive flow to run water through the heater and engine, Remove radiator cap so the thermostat bleed hole allows flushing through there too. Yes dump water out of lower hose, but replace roughly and allow the water hose to again fill and overflow through the radiator top. Dump again through lower hose removal. That should flush all internals. Replace heater hose. THEN, remove the overflow bottle and prime clean it and prime it with coolant mix and a bit of water. connect all again and refill system. Run with radiator cap off until HOT flow is seen to be moving through top tank from thermostat. A while. Replace cap and all should be well. Firstly mark the bottle level, as it cools it should become lower. When cool, adjust coolant reservoir bottle to correct cold height. PS, Having only sufficient flow and open system at cap means no home water pressure is applied to the rad system whose tolerance of pressure isn't much above 14PSI or 0.9bar. You don't want to pop the radiator or heater core, so slow flow and vented at all times.
goody59

Post by goody59 »

Danno, great job. I tried a year or so ago to establish this to no avail. Ended up with the yellow small 1lt bottle of premix I was advised would be ok if a small top up was required in my MY18. I haven't needed to use it and now won't. I will go with the blue as you have established and make sure it is a full flush of all the required areas before the blue goes in so no mixing will occur. I am only at 25,000 ks now.
Well done and thanks for sharing.