When to change oil

wheellathe

When to change oil

Post by wheellathe »

There are a few different versions of oil change frequency being tossed around. Could some one please tell me what the Handbook says.. Thanks
mydmax

Re: When to change oil

Post by mydmax »

For a 2011 Dmax the normal interval is 10,000km. The oil quality is just as important to consider as the interval in my opinion. If using a well known and recognized brand which does preform well OK, but some of the flashy promoted everywhere oils aren't as good, hence the advertising in order to sell the stuff.
Bought from an oil depot ie Mobil/Caltex/BP/Shell will usually get you the best oils around.
Try and steer away from Pwrong, Castrol, Valvoline, and the repco oil. Some of these oils seem to require changing more often than good oils just to keep the insides of the engine from a sludge buildup.

If you ever have any sludge inside the engine, the oil isn't working for you.
wheellathe

Post by wheellathe »

Thanks mydmax It"s just that I've read in some articles that 10000 is the magic number while others claim 20000 I work in the rail industry and we dont change oils on locos not unless the oil sample report spots a issue
Guipago

Post by Guipago »

The 2013 handbook says replace eng. oil & filter every 20,000km, BUT there is a section for severe road conditions which says if driven on dusty, muddy or off-road to change every 10,000km, would depend on how tight the budget is, I like the 10,000km option, for a brand new engine I take a different tack, I did my 1st change at 500km, then another at 1,500km, at the 1st service at 3,000km it got changed with the filter, at both the 500km & 1,500km the amount of metal particals in the bottom of the drain tub brought a smile to my face, I would rather they be out of the motor & not circulating around inside for 10,000km scratching cylinder walls & grinding their way thru the oil pump before getting caught in the filter, well there's my thoughts anyway :D
Geoff
wheellathe

Post by wheellathe »

Thanks for that Geoff . That exactly what I was looking for ,, Cheers
charliej

Post by charliej »

Hello there I drive a 2012 EX D-max and the manual recommends 6 different brands of oil (1 x isuzu, 3 x shell,1 x mobil,1 x castrol,1 x BP,3 x caltex = 10 types) most are 15w-40 grade with no synthetics that I can see. After talking with the local oil dealer who carries most of them I went with the Mobil Delvac MX 15w-40 thats in the book because of price and reputation his theory is if you are not going to do a continuous 100 klm trip at least once a week syn type oils are a waste of money and to just use rock oil and change at 10000 klm intervals. I hope this helps
OzMiCk

Post by OzMiCk »

hi there i have a 2013 ls-u D_MAX auto space cab.
just had the 3 thou service done no probs so far.
But what is interesting is the the oil in fron and read diffs get changed at the 10 thou service but NOT the engine oil/filter which as ithought engine oil/filter would need changing befor the diff oil i find a bit strange.
cheers
Older than Yesterday Younger than tomorrow
mydmax

Post by mydmax »

OzmiCk
The 3k service is lift the bonnet and check the engine oil, nothing more.
The 2012 now seems to have the oil engine oil service at more than 10,000km. It will be pretty dirty by then.

Although the diffs, gearbox and transfer and grease should happen at 10,000km I would be surprised to hear if it actually gets done. A checking process needs to be in place by you to check it really is done.
If it gets done I will mark a (1) in the register.

At the pre delivery the oils in ALL should be checked, never seen that happen, at 3k they should be checked, never seen that happen either, engine yes. After seeing service deficiencies happening I checked a number of vehicles which had done over 10,000km, NONE had received the drive train oils replacement.
So after 10,000km no changes and no checking either. Different to what the Isuzu book says though.
You ill need to develop a thorough marking and checking regime so you know what was looked at and possibly done and what was not. The less obvious it is the better. Digital camera is your friend and is one tool to use pre any service or warranty work.

Do I trust them, no way.
Aussie

Post by Aussie »

I changed mine at 7000km (myself). Then it got the official change at 10k. My dealer will change it every 10k from herein.
Simon
Site Admin

Post by Simon »

Aussie wrote:I changed mine at 7000km (myself). Then it got the official change at 10k. My dealer will change it every 10k from herein.
X2, although I did ours at just over 5000 but it was as black as and there was no way I was going to leave it in till 10k